Daily squats (aka penance)

As the mighty IbenCopenhagen stated, my penance for eating naughty (but nice) chocolate is 60 squats a day, 20am, 20midday and 20pm (https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k/posts/133739061/the-downside-of-getting-fitter-is-...).

Just recording my 20 squats penance has been paid this morning.

I am pleased with how easy they were actually, this running lark really does help :-).

Why don't you join in my penance and do 60 squats a day (or more if you like?)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

42 Replies

oldestnewest
  • How do I do them? Is it harmful to an really old person like me:)

Well done you anyway...but.. if you are finding them easy.. will you est even MORE chocolate? Then , just do more squats? :)

• Now THAT's an idea - thanks, I hadn't thought of that :-)

• They are quite tough on the knees - I certainly felt my dodgy knees creaking and about to give up.

I think there are gradients - free form squats (i.e. without support), leaning against a wall and sliding down right through to sitting down on a chair and back up again - treat the chair as if it was really really hot so as soon as your rear end touches you immediately stand up again.

• Hi Yatesco,

I'm not an expert (@Rignold, help! 😁 ) but I think squats are not supposed to be hard on your knees; if they are it is likely you are not doing them properly.

bodybuilding.com/fun/no_pai...

• Need to work on my core strength, knees and all sorts. Might be an idea - won't be doing them at midday though, not on work days anyway!

• I do a set every day when brushing my teeth, two birds and all that......😇

Mx

• Just closed the door to my office and did 10 in all secrecy after reading your post :-) I'll do 60 today. Promise. And I ran 30 minutes (4k) this morning. We are doing sooooo good.

• Already counting down to my '20 squat lunch' :-).

• Go you ! x

• No sure I even know what a squat is! I assume you don't mean people living in a property illiegally!! I'm on my laptop and I can't find my emoticons!

• I found an excellent video demonstrating it but I can't find it now :-(. A quick youtube search threw this up:

• I don't have to have weights do I ??????????????????

• Not at all Oldfloss - I have mine built in :-).

• Phew.. okay... now I know what to do ! :)

• And with the chocolate intake you have, it's going to remain that way, young man! :-) :-)

• Am I the only one who thinks Rignold must sound exactly the same as the narrator on this clip. ;)

• hah! Sorry to disappoint. I actually sound more like Hugh Grant, if he was less street tough and macho.

• Nah, Impossible, don't believe it! :)

• 'less' street tough - you are shattering a whole lot of assumptions round here!

Great to see you back Rignold

• Yay ! Good to see you Rignold ! :-) xxx

• IbenCopenhagen yatesco There is a jar of chocolate hazelnut fudge in my fridge that I've been judiciously avoiding. Please let me know what you would recommend I do as penance in case it accidentally finds its way onto a spoon and I eat it. The thought of punishment might keep me away from it longer! (PS - I do plenty of squats with weights twice a week anyway).

• Try having a chart next to the fridge onto which you write the distance you would need to run in order to burn the same number of calories.

So, take a spoon full, work out the calories in that spoonful, work out how many calories you burn per (say K or hour) and then add that to the chart.

Before you know it you will be running marathons just to break even :-).

It is frightening!

• I'd recommend running outside, in the hot and super-humid Indian summer instead than on your treadmill, in an air-conditioned room.

Is it scary enough to keep you away from the jar? 😁

• Evil you

• Genius!

• Summer's over, it's raining now! No longer sweltering 😁

• I've started doing them as well, as part of my warm up exercises. Not quite as many as 60 though....

• 20 three times a day - I couldn't do 60 in one go

• Ugh - another 20 - this isn't as much fun as I thought it would be, or at least, that's what my thighs are telling me :-).

• After the first 10 it isn't really easy anymore... So maybe I'll just do 6x10 instead... I've done 3x10 so far

• Hmmmm fair trade..but mines a dairy milk please ;)

• Now I want some chocolate🍫You lot are a bad influence on me 😇

• I do callisthenics on "rest" days but I'm a bit lackadaisical- I did 20 squats this morning , but then my good intentions petered out by lunchtime. :(

• I am aiming for 20am, 20@lunch and 20pm. I did the first two but I am not holding out much hope for the last set - far too clammy and humid here :-(

• I reckon we'll be churning them out for fun in the autumn :)

• How was today? I managed 2x10 and then totally forgot about it and now I'm on the couch planning the route for my third 5k tomorrow

• It was effortless, it really was. As in, I didn't do any. I had to be in the office today which is a pretty long way away and getting up early in the morning is hard enough as it is!

I am also delaying my 5K until tomorrow - too tired, hot and grumpy to do it now.

• Hmmm, well, as long as you didn't eat chocolate, I guess it's alright to skip the squats. Hope you're more energetic tomorrow

• Phew, glad I didn't tell you about all the rubbish I ate at lunch and then the horrendously bad-for-you McDonalds I had for tea because of the timing!

Oh wait...

(EDIT: and yes, I really am just a 41 year old child :-))

• I seriously don't know what do do about you! You are completely out of control.

• I shouldn't be glib actually, I know weight loss is a serious problem for many (me included) and yes, it wasn't the best decision.

I do think occasional treats are actually a good thing as the provide sustainability.

There is absolutely a discussion I need to have about what 'occasional' means :-).

I accept your chastisement :-).

• Treats are fine, as long as you log them and stay within your daily calorie allowance... So if you've eaten a big, fat croissant for breakfast, you're going to have to pay - either by running further or by eating a very, very light lunch. That McDonalds treat is going to cost you tomorrow...

It's not complicated, is it? It just takes a lot of determination and as much stamina as running, just a different type of stamina.

Can you do it?

You may also like...