Daily squats (aka penance)

As the mighty IbenCopenhagen stated, my penance for eating naughty (but nice) chocolate is 60 squats a day, 20am, 20midday and 20pm (https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k/posts/133739061/the-downside-of-getting-fitter-is-...).

Just recording my 20 squats penance has been paid this morning.

I am pleased with how easy they were actually, this running lark really does help :-).

Why don't you join in my penance and do 60 squats a day (or more if you like?)

42 Replies

• How do I do them? Is it harmful to an really old person like me:)

Well done you anyway...but.. if you are finding them easy.. will you est even MORE chocolate? Then , just do more squats? :)

• Now THAT's an idea - thanks, I hadn't thought of that :-)

• They are quite tough on the knees - I certainly felt my dodgy knees creaking and about to give up.

I think there are gradients - free form squats (i.e. without support), leaning against a wall and sliding down right through to sitting down on a chair and back up again - treat the chair as if it was really really hot so as soon as your rear end touches you immediately stand up again.

• Hi Yatesco,

I'm not an expert (@Rignold, help! 😁 ) but I think squats are not supposed to be hard on your knees; if they are it is likely you are not doing them properly.

• Need to work on my core strength, knees and all sorts. Might be an idea - won't be doing them at midday though, not on work days anyway!

• I do a set every day when brushing my teeth, two birds and all that......😇

• Just closed the door to my office and did 10 in all secrecy after reading your post :-) I'll do 60 today. Promise. And I ran 30 minutes (4k) this morning. We are doing sooooo good.

• Already counting down to my '20 squat lunch' :-).

• Go you ! x

• No sure I even know what a squat is! I assume you don't mean people living in a property illiegally!! I'm on my laptop and I can't find my emoticons!

• I found an excellent video demonstrating it but I can't find it now :-(. A quick youtube search threw this up:

• I don't have to have weights do I ??????????????????

• Not at all Oldfloss - I have mine built in :-).

• Phew.. okay... now I know what to do ! :)

• And with the chocolate intake you have, it's going to remain that way, young man! :-) :-)

• Am I the only one who thinks Rignold must sound exactly the same as the narrator on this clip. ;)

• hah! Sorry to disappoint. I actually sound more like Hugh Grant, if he was less street tough and macho.

• Nah, Impossible, don't believe it! :)

• 'less' street tough - you are shattering a whole lot of assumptions round here!

Great to see you back Rignold

• Yay ! Good to see you Rignold ! :-) xxx

• IbenCopenhagen yatesco There is a jar of chocolate hazelnut fudge in my fridge that I've been judiciously avoiding. Please let me know what you would recommend I do as penance in case it accidentally finds its way onto a spoon and I eat it. The thought of punishment might keep me away from it longer! (PS - I do plenty of squats with weights twice a week anyway).

• Try having a chart next to the fridge onto which you write the distance you would need to run in order to burn the same number of calories.

So, take a spoon full, work out the calories in that spoonful, work out how many calories you burn per (say K or hour) and then add that to the chart.

Before you know it you will be running marathons just to break even :-).

It is frightening!

• I'd recommend running outside, in the hot and super-humid Indian summer instead than on your treadmill, in an air-conditioned room.

Is it scary enough to keep you away from the jar? 😁

• Evil you

• Genius!

• Summer's over, it's raining now! No longer sweltering 😁

• I've started doing them as well, as part of my warm up exercises. Not quite as many as 60 though....

• 20 three times a day - I couldn't do 60 in one go

• Ugh - another 20 - this isn't as much fun as I thought it would be, or at least, that's what my thighs are telling me :-).

• After the first 10 it isn't really easy anymore... So maybe I'll just do 6x10 instead... I've done 3x10 so far

• Hmmmm fair trade..but mines a dairy milk please ;)

• Now I want some chocolate🍫You lot are a bad influence on me 😇

• I do callisthenics on "rest" days but I'm a bit lackadaisical- I did 20 squats this morning , but then my good intentions petered out by lunchtime. :(

• I am aiming for 20am, 20@lunch and 20pm. I did the first two but I am not holding out much hope for the last set - far too clammy and humid here :-(

• I reckon we'll be churning them out for fun in the autumn :)

• How was today? I managed 2x10 and then totally forgot about it and now I'm on the couch planning the route for my third 5k tomorrow

• It was effortless, it really was. As in, I didn't do any. I had to be in the office today which is a pretty long way away and getting up early in the morning is hard enough as it is!

I am also delaying my 5K until tomorrow - too tired, hot and grumpy to do it now.

• Hmmm, well, as long as you didn't eat chocolate, I guess it's alright to skip the squats. Hope you're more energetic tomorrow

• Phew, glad I didn't tell you about all the rubbish I ate at lunch and then the horrendously bad-for-you McDonalds I had for tea because of the timing!

Oh wait...

(EDIT: and yes, I really am just a 41 year old child :-))

• I seriously don't know what do do about you! You are completely out of control.

• I shouldn't be glib actually, I know weight loss is a serious problem for many (me included) and yes, it wasn't the best decision.

I do think occasional treats are actually a good thing as the provide sustainability.

There is absolutely a discussion I need to have about what 'occasional' means :-).

I accept your chastisement :-).

• Treats are fine, as long as you log them and stay within your daily calorie allowance... So if you've eaten a big, fat croissant for breakfast, you're going to have to pay - either by running further or by eating a very, very light lunch. That McDonalds treat is going to cost you tomorrow...

It's not complicated, is it? It just takes a lot of determination and as much stamina as running, just a different type of stamina.

Can you do it?

You may also like...