So this running lark and healthy eating (or maybe 'less-bad' eating would be more accurate :-)) combination has allowed me to reach my (admittedly pretty arbitrary) weight goal - I am now officially under 20 stone.
I told my kids at breakfast this morning and the lovely, darling 4 year old said "is your belly still poofy". Nice.
At least the scales no longer say 'One at a time' when I stand on them...
Thanks community - I realise that running _itself_ doesn't really lose that much weight, but it is a critical part of my new healthier lifestyle, and without communities like this one it would have been significantly harder.
For newbies who are thinking "yeah, but it wouldn't work for _me_", when I started the #c25k program (and the 12 week NHS weight loss group) I was over 21 stone, sat on my butt all day (software engineer) and probably averaged 1000 steps a day, if I was really _really_ trying hard. Imagine doing that for a couple of decades....
Since starting the program:
- I can now walk the kids to school (about 0.5 mile) without my lower back screaming at me or getting out of breath
- I can get through a whole day without taking a nap
- I can run not 5, 10 or even 20 minutes, but 28 minutes! Previously I couldn't run 28 feet
- my stress/anxiety levels are far more manageable
- I have learnt to ignore my "can't do" gremlin and have learnt I can do so much more than I _think_ I can do
So yes, you can do it - give it a try - really, the #c25k program is for _anyone_