Back to basics ... But loving it!!!

So I graduated late last year having done the entire programme on a treadmill. To move my running on I joined a running club in January... Wow 😮😮😮 how different is treadmill to pavements ???? Breathing, pacing is all over the shop!!! They are very good at the group and suggested I try the programme from scratch which on the one hand feels like a step backward but on the other hand is getting me used to running outside and is easier and less scary than when I started from scratch.

Has anyone else found this a problem?

7 Replies

oldest • newest
  • Don't feel like it's a step backwards - I think both treadmill and outdoor running have different challenges and things to get used to and returning to a run-walk is a great way to adjust. I suspect you'll be right up to your treadmill distances in no time. Your fitness is there, it'll just take some experimenting and practice to get used to pacing and hills.

• Having thought 10 mins on a treadmil was an achievement in itself, when I experienced pavements and the challenges of the outdoor I was shocked.

You don't realise how different they can be.

I am sure you will catch up in no time at all :)

• Good idea to start again outside. You'll find it easier as you're fit, but give legs a chance to become accustomed safely and slowly.

• The treadmill is a little easier, so I did a couple of parkruns to get used to the pacing and the 'feel' of running outdoors. It's very likely that once you've done a couple of outdoor runs you'll never want to go back. Though having been chased by a couple of dogs I sometimes wonder how wise I am to venture into the great outdoors.

• Lol... Hadn't thought about dogs!

• I did the programme on the treadmill, only moving outside once I could run for the 30 mins. First couple of runs outside were dreadful, then I tried again - going as slow as I could and singing to myself (there was no one to talk to) as I'd read that if you couldn't hold a conversation you were going to fast. Got the hang of it after a couple of runs. I don't like the dogs much either but on a nice day it is much nicer outdoors than in a hot and noisy gym

Give it another try - and just focus on keeping going - but reeeeeaally slowly.

• Thx... I will keep posting my progress!!!

You may also like...