Anyone trained for a fell race? How?

OK, am laying the blame for this squarely at the feet of those who started this little thread here:- healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

I am on some sort of journey to become a fell runner. I'm thinking of the Kinder Downfall in April as a practice for the Edale Skyline in 2016. 10 miles, with mountains. Do I just put it in as a 10-mile race on My Ascis and do that but with some hill reps, or what?

And yes, I might be a lunatic. But I'm excited and happy :)

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Why not?! :-)

Every Fell runner started as a non runner. I like the look of the Jura fell race...one day maybe!

• I'd do some specific training, on fells. Running on the Peak District's terrain is difficult if you're not used to it!

• Yes I think so. Make sure to include hills. They give you timed runs so I suppose you could choose the slower ones for the hills

I ran a hilly 10 mile (also in Derbyshire) in July. I finished it and got round in one piece, and I wasn't last which proves it can be done by a C25ker. I like the sound of those two races. Mmmm

• Sounds like great fun (remember when we considered running lunacy rather than fun?). I think Bradman has got it spot on. If you want to become a fell runner, you should train by doing some fell running :)

• Definitely include hills in your training. I went to watch my brother running in a fell race, and they all started at the bottom of a slope that was steep enough to use your hands on. I thought they'd run along the bottom, but no - straight up it!

It might be worth looking at a local fell-running club - there are several in your area, and they all seem like friendly bunches

• Cheers all. I already run off road and over undulating ground, but as caulkhead notes, fell racing is a whole other kettle of fish! Just struggling to find any advice for beginners' training.

• I hope this isn't spamming, but my sis-in-law does fell-running training - might be worth emailing her or posting to her blog and asking for some pointers even if you're not going to do a session; she's very friendly! If you tell her you're training for a race, she might be able to tailor the sessions runningdelights.blogspot.co...

(my bro is a hard-nut fell runner, she's a bit more sane!). I'm down South, but I do envy you the moors, if not all the hill climbing.

• Cheers, I may just do that (and will certainly have a look at the website). It just seems so obvious that I should be fell running, given that I love mountains, and live nearish to them, and like running, and have been hillwalking since I was weeny. It's just a bit scary making a start!

• Cheers, I may just do that (and will certainly have a look at the website). It just seems so obvious that I should be fell running, given that I love mountains, and live nearish to them, and like running, and have been hillwalking since I was weeny. It's just a bit scary making a start!

You may also like...