Running with a cold

Will going out for a run make a cold worse (which I'd prefer to avoid), or just make me a slower runner (which is fine)? Am loitering between week 8 and 9 (supposedly on week 8, but did a slightly-by-accident 40 minutes on Sunday and loved it, so might be tempted to skip to week 9) and don't really want to go backwards, or go stir-crazy from not running.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hmm, I think you'll probably find it hard going. Also, I believe though not 100% sure, but isn't the general advice not to excersise when feeling under the weather? If you do, take it easy. Good luck ;o)

• The general rule seems to be if the cold is above the neck it's okay to run, below the neck best to rest. Running shouldn't make a head cold worse - but a head cold will probably make your running worse!

• Not heard that before, Ullyrunner but makes sense.

• Thanks, I found the 'neck' advice and went for it and felt a bit better afterwards - had a half hour post run interval in which I could breathe through my nose :).

You may also like...