How to lose fitness in 4 easy weeks

Oh dear. I was quite shocked yesterday to realise that I've only run once in the previous 4 weeks. I was in England for 2 and a half weeks and totally unprepared for the heatwave - having been spoiled by always running in a nice sea breeze here, I found it unbearable to run in the humidity and only managed one slow run in the whole time I was there. I don't know how you've all coped with it but am full of admiration for you all slogging away in the heat!

Then I came back to SF just in time for a 3 day music festival, then back off to Pittsburgh for work - I did at least pack my trainers but did I use them? Er, no.

So yesterday was the first run in ages and it was so lovely to get back out there - but it was such hard work! I did the 'Stepping Stones' podcast which I really enjoyed. The 150bpm felt a bit weird and slow at first, but actually I think it was roundabout my normal pace, perhaps I'm just not quite as regimented normally. Then with the 155bpm I started to get quite tired and had a few little walks sneaking in. Then the final 160bpm nearly finished me off and I had quite a long walk! I only managed 4k running in total, but I did really enjoy it and am grimly determined to keep at it until I am doing the whole thing without stopping. Fingers crossed...

Last edited by

6 Replies

• I know how you feel. I have not run for just two weeks (sounds like confession) and feeling it. Going to do last run of week 9 for the next two runs to get back into it. Then on to a nice 10k using and audiofuel session.

You will get back in to it, just ease in gently.

Good luck.

• Thank you! And good luck to you too :-)

• I didn't run for a month because I was fasting in the Islamic month of Ramadan. My first comeback run was almost two weeks ago and I am still building up to my previous fitness. I think it will take two more weeks to get back to where I was.

It just shows that we need to keep up the work if we want to maintain out new found fitness!

• I'm also a bit disturbed that 4 weeks slipped by so fast. At least you have a proper reason for not running! I think you're right and will try to bear it in mind as I puff and pant around tonight's route!

• I had a month out due to injury, a month back in and then another 6 weeks out owing to another injury. It does set us back, and I found the first few runs hard work but the good thing is there is a reserve of fitness so it's not like starting from scratch thankfully. Totally agree with the strategy of easing up on targets for a while, I'm enjoying some gentle fun runs - all the nicer for being unable to for so long. Best of luck to all others who are getting back out there!

• That's true, it's definitely not back to square one, when I thought 60 seconds running might be the end of me. I had stopped enjoying my running quite so much before I went away, and I think it's because I kept pushing myself to go faster and beat my time. I want it to be as much fun as it used to be, so if I want to walk for a bit... well, I shall!

Enjoy your gentle runs and I hope you stay injury free.

You may also like...