Anxiety Support
35,047 members38,818 posts

Learn to live with anxiety and you'll be able to live without it.

Stop fighting your anxiety, it only makes things worse. Instead, surrender to it, run up the white flag, accept it for the time being: do the exact opposite of what you've been doing until now. Ask yourself, did fighting make you feel better? Did it cure you of panicky feelings, palpitations, upset stomach, feelings of doom and all the other symptoms in the Google guide to anxiety disorder? On the contrary, all that extra adrenaline your body released as a result of the extra stress and strain of fighting only made your nervous system more sensitised still.

If you're digging yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. Stop fighting - stop checking your pulse every 5 minutes, stop testing to see if you can walk round the store without feeling dizzy, stop checking that ache or pain to see if it's gone away yet. Instead learn to co-exist with all the fake symptoms, accept them without reservation and acknowledge they're going to be around for some time yet - but you've made important changes in how you deal with them that eventually and inevitably you will be free at last, free at last, free at last.

"I find that some patients complain , 'I have accepted the churning in my stomach but it is still there. So what am I to do now?' How could they have accepted it if they still complain about it?

"I try to make them understand that they must be prepared to let their stomachs churn...only by so doing would they be truly accepting. In this way, and only in this way, would they reach the stage when it would matter no longer whether their stomachs churned or not. Then freed from the stimulous of tension and anxiety, their adrenalin-releasing nerves would gradually calm down and the churning would automatically lessen and finally cease."

Doctor Claire Weekes, 'Self help for your nerves', 23rd. printing, 1986.

23 Replies
oldestnewest

I'm thinking I may start running everyday, to help release some adrenaline.

My only thing is I feel dizzy/fuzzy a lot and I'm scared if I go running something might happen.

I guess the only way to do it is to just ignore and accept the feeling...

6 likes

Jeff, you are marvellous! Brilliant timing today, just the reminder I needed. X

4 likes

Thank you so much, Jeff! ☺

2 likes

Thank goodness for Agora and Jeff on here!!! 😊😊😊😊

11 likes

The best is the SO WHAT response i used it today was driving to work and was really anxious idk why and i just said SO WHAT so what if i died so what if i passed out SO WHAT and it went away lol

16 likes

Jeff, I am not familiar with Dr. Weekes work. Has she offered anything new for PTSD since 1986? I am serious and need some help today.

I was seriously injured, including some brain damage, in an accident 17 years ago. Memory issues and PTSD...

3 likes

Hi HearYou, sorry to hear about the way you're feeling. Doctor Claire Weekes wouldn't have made any contribution to PTSD after 1986 as she died in that year at the age of 88, the book I quoted from had been in print for 25 years before then and...

5 likes

I have purchased Doctor Claire Weekes book but haven't been been able to concentrate enough to read it. Does it also address depression?

Dare is another great app and book to overcome anxiety, I’ve been using it and found it is helping me overcome it. dareresponse.com

3 likes

My therapist wrote down what if ... and than say it with so what if this happens works sometimes ...makes a lot of sense what u wrote thanks

2 likes

Agree. It’s not easy but the reward wouldn’t be as good if it were easy. Take it day by day.

3 likes

Really good advise, I’m taking more and more advise in every day. But as a 16 year I must say that learning to accept and live with something that your body tells you that you cannot live with and that may cause you serious pain is extremely...

1 like

junior-anxiety-depression-e...

These are 4 audios that I have found incredibly helpful over the years by Claire Weekes. So much sensible advice so if reading is challenging for anyone when they are in an anxious...

You know what's so funny, the other day I was thinking how at about 18 when I started going out for coffees with friends I would drive home and feel anxious, I used to describe it as feeling like I'm about to go to a job interview, however the...

1 like

i can't accept the psychological feelings. (dp/dr, crazy thoughts, dread and doom etc.) i really try though.

I started the what if and whatever to my systems just Monday, am thinking this is going to be a tough journey little blip last night but if there is light at the end of the tunnel and to be FREE would be beyond words, it’s difficult alone, because it’s a very lonely illness, this site is encouraging me along thank you 😊

3 likes

As always I love reading your posts!! Good Day and keep moving forward 😄

It may require study to really understand the potential of acceptance.Luckily there are books,recordings,apps,courses and processes that you can discover if you search.

After understanding then you can PRACTICE acceptance,of which there are many techniques of acceptance to learn and practice.

It is simply a knowledge and then a skill which with practice and repetition you can get surprisingly good at and know the power of acceptance.

It can be a powerful coping strategy,a powerful coping technique to add to your toolbox which can really power up other techniques you may use.

The most astounding thing is that it CAN lessen and even ROMOVE anxiety completely.

To feel your panic reduce through acceptance is surprising,and to experience panic VANISH COMPLETELY through acceptance is quite astounding,it can really challenge all of the approaches of trying to find the answer,trying to find a cure,

It says 'don't fight the bad,don't try to get better,just surrender,accept and become 'one' with the suffering.Buddhist mindfulness and Chinese Tao Te Ching come strongly to my mind.

If you accept surrender and become one with suffering sometimes it can transform the pain or remove it completely.

Very profound and quite astonishing,I certainly have been shocked and astounded when this happens.In theory,(and I have experienced this)in extreme overwhelming panic,one second of accurate and deep acceptance many times removed all panic instantly!

Since then this has helped to taught me a profound view of life

WHAT YOU RESIST,PERSISTS.

WHAT YOU FIGHT,YOU FEED.

'Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes it so'.

More information? God bless you,Dr.Cymrank.

3 likes

Valentin77, thank you so much for sharing your experience of acceptance with us. Words in a book are important but reports about putting acceptance into practice such as yours are invaluable.

I have been a consultant psychologist for over 40 years,but my first study of Weekes transformed my view through experiencing it 15 years ago.

I am so pleased I have always been open and willing to give virtually anything a try,I judge by experience for myself and in patients,not by psychological theory.

I am lucky to be highly motivated and strong willed so this,I have found,is essential in trying new things and working at them to get good enough to judge.

E.F.T. Took me ages to learn,20 lessons and many months of daily practice.Whew.However when it first came out,as crazy as it sounded I did not care.I feel as a supporter of good mental health I should know of and have tried as many therapies and techniques as possible.

1 like

I just ordered the book "Self Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weekes. I've heard so many on here talk about it. Thought I'd give it a try. Can't hurt!

2 likes

Thanks one hell of a lot, Jeff.

1 like

No truer words were ever written!

We must accept certain things, and we have to learn how to deal with them. We have people to help us get through it ( you guys are awesome). It takes time and effort, but it can be done.

1 like

You may also like...