Is this really anxiety I'm just not convinced?

I recently have been diagnose with anxiety but I just can't accept that it is anxiety causing all of my problems and symptoms. I am 20 years old and have a daughter of 3 years. I just can't seem to go on another day feeling the way I do its been 2 month now. I have a major amount of pressure in my head and face, my ears click and feel full i also get some Whooshing in my ears at times. I have numbness and pains in my body,my eyes are very sensitive towards light and feel very strange at times. I wake up early every morning finding I can't get back to sleep as a feeling of unwellness comes over me and start getting aches and pains in my arms. My neck aches and shoulders ache I have also had muscle flutters and electric shock like feelings on my top lip and in my back. I can't feel my self having any panic attacks realy but just get a sense of something being wrong in my body and a sense of worry. I have also had stomach problems with the bile and acid reflux. Just wanted to see of anyone else experiences the same symptoms with their anxiety as I am unconvinced that it is what is causing me to be so I'll. The doctors havnt let me have any tests except from bloods and eurine which makes me think they are not doing enough to figure out the cause or ruling out other medical possibilities as I have been to a number of gas and A&E but they keep telling me I'm fine and healthy it's my second day on sertraline but I am fobbed off at taking medication after how much medication they have been putting me on for my symptoms. If I knew what was causing my symptoms and had proof maybe this anxiety wouldn't be a problem as big as it is. Should I actually trust what I am being told even tho i haven't had any tests to do with my head just a blood test and a urine test? Or if there's anyone out there experiencing the same symptoms it would be comforting.

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have experienced all those symptoms. I have been dealing with this for 8 months now and I too thought there was a medical problem and still struggle to believe it is only anxiety. I am better but still not where I want to be.

I have had many blood tests

Chest x Ray

Heart monitor

And ultra sound of the heart

All to be clear.

I have seen many doctors all who say it's anxiety I've been to a psychologist and phychiatrist who assure me it's anxiety. So I should believe it right?

If you feel you need more tests go to a different doctor and push for it demand it they can't deny you tests if you want them.

I think that if you rule out whatever else you are worried about such as your head, then you can accept it is anxiety and move on and work towards anxiety treatment.

But to assure you your symptoms can definitely be anxiety related.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Thankyou so much it's really eases me to know that someone out there that has felt the same do. Thanx for the advice and that sounds like a good idea I haven't asked for any test so think I should do that and do let me know how you get on with your anxiety and what works for you are you on any meds for it? I am on my 3rd day of sertraline and take one 50mg at 3pm everyday and woke up this morning all shaky. Do you think this could be the reason?

• Yes sertraline will make you shaky I took one 50mg pill and had shakiness and a pretty bad experience which I won't go into detail as I don't want to put anything into your head. I stopped taking it after one pill as I couldn't take the side effects. I then tried a different med at a very low dose and only lasted 5 days I just can't get through the adjustment period, I really wish I could take meds but I'm too sensitive I really hope it will work for you and just keep at it if you can.

The books I told you about really helped. what has helped me most is to stop focusing on my symptoms and just getting on with it and letting it be, it is very hard and I have good days and bad days but I do see improvement it's very slow though so I am trying my best to be patient even though I am so over it and ready to be normal again.

My next goal is to start an exercise program and improve my diet. I also want to start meditation too. I have two small kids so it's difficult for me to do the above I also am procrastinating a bit but I do believe these things have helped a lot of people.

Breathing exercises too.

Hope this helps :)

• Yes will have to try some out my self. I wouldnt wish this on anyone. Let's just hope we do find a solution that works for us. :-D

• They did me the same thing..

• Are you on sertraline?

• No I take zanex

• When did you start taking it and what symptoms are you getting? :-)

• This is a link to a list of symptoms of B12 deficiency which can cause anxiety etc

Unfortunately the usual test for B12 isn't that good and people can be told they are ok when they are in the large grey range at the bottom of the scale where you can be deficient in terms of clinical signs but the test results don't show that.

It can be very difficult to get a medic to listen to the guidance that they should respond to symptoms not the figures in results.

If you think, after looking at the symptoms, that it is likely then you should get the test done before you try supplementing .... and you may want to post results on the PAS forum for advice and support.

pernicious-anaemia-society....

• Boy do you sound just like me. For a little over a month I've had head pressure and in my face too. My ears have been popping and ringing. Also have muscle pain and numbness and weird vision. This all happened after I bumped my head and psyched myself out. I've been to two doctors and each told me I was fine. Try not to think about it so much. The mind is a powerful thing you can create your own symptoms. I started taking b12 pills and they work great.

Hang in there and try not to think about it. Let me know how you are doing!

• Hey sorry only just seen replies and yeah it's horrible bit i am frustrated with every day waking up feeling nauseous burning up and sweating I feel like this for about 2 hours maybe a little more on some days I just want it all to stop I jave started getting palpitations and high blood pressure and I am fed up with wanting to be checked out at doctors but only having the same checked over and over again. I wouldnt wish this on anyone. Let me know if you get it sorted and how. :-)

You may also like...