Fear and panic is ruining my life!

Hi, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone has similar symptoms to me? I live in a constant state of fear and anxiety at varying levels, I have been suffering since January and feel it is dogging my every step. It always starts with a nasty thought, usually related to crimes against children, I then worry that I will never get the thought out of my head. It sometimes gets so bad that everything I look at I seem to be able to connect to this subject which then exacerbates my panic. I don't want to be thinking about such a horrible subject but it feels like all I do is think about thinking it!! I feel like a mad person. I have a lovely life and family and feel so bad that I can't enjoy it. Help anyone?

5 Replies

• Hi Cijay, and welcome to the site

Can you/do you feel able to give a bit more information? I mean you say you are a bit obsesssed with crimes against children - are you worried about your children, children in general, or what?

PM me if you'd rather not go into details in public.

• Hi Cijay,

They are only thoughts, you are not harming anyone. I've had a fascination with serial killers for years. My OH finds it strange. Just because I have an interest in it doesn't mean I'm going to do it. I think it's as a form of defence. If I realise it happens and think about it, the more ill be able to protect myself against it if I happens to me. If that makes sense.

Some people may be concerned that you have these thoughts, it's always on the news these days. They are as I said only thoughts and you can learn to let them go.

I wish you all the best xxx Cookie xxx

• Thanks for replies. To clarify,I'm not particularly worried about something happening To my own kids it's just that when I get the adrenalin/anxiety feelings it's like my mind is racing to latch onto the most horrible things I have ever read in newspapers etc.I then spend all my time going around in my head checking what I am thinking about and worrying that it will stick! Every time I hear a trigger word it starts all over again! It's like self sabotage really. How can I ever enjoy anything when all I think about is my anxiety and the horrid things people do? All this constant pseudo stuff in the news is not helping but I refuse to be someone who avoids real life.

• Stupid predictive text, for pseudo read PAEDO!!!

• Hi Cijay, I think there seems to be so much in the press recently about all the nastiness in the world it's so hard to avoid it. I understand what you mean when you say, you don't want to avoid real life, as That's what I feel when I read or watch the news etc, as I feel it's important to know about what's going on. I find it stays with me sometimes also but then I just try and counter it with remembering all the good people in the world and the kindness that is alsoout there. My OH, who I feel is quite a tough person, however refuses to watch or read any bad news involving children, or even any documentaries regarding illness or disabilities etc. Seems to work for him! I don't know what the answer is but if you feel it's stopping you enjoying life perhaps a visit to the gp would be worthwhile to explain how you are feeling or explore some relaxation techniques etc.

You may also like...