No invasive methods or vaginal hysterectomy... - Women's Health

Women's Health
18,220 members2,256 posts

No invasive methods or vaginal hysterectomy for fibroids

Jorgina
Jorgina

Hello everybody! I am waiting for a open surgery to remove a top intramural 11cm fibroid. I still hope to find a no invasive method or a surgery throughout the vagina. Does anyone here could treat a fibroid in this way? Maybe having a treatment to shrink it before getting your uterus removed? Please let me know.

10 Replies
oldestnewest
wobblybee
wobblybeeAdministrator

🤔 Is this what you were hoping for..

MRI-guided focused ultrasound (FUS) is a noninvasive treatment option for uterine fibroids that destroys fibroids while preserving the normal uterus. Focused high-frequency, high-energy sound waves are used to target the proteins in fibroids, until they are destroyed.

brighamandwomens.org › ...

Jorgina
Jorgina
in reply to wobblybee

Have you got it done to you?

wobblybee
wobblybeeAdministrator
in reply to Jorgina

🙂 No, I haven’t actually had this particular procedure.

Jorgina
Jorgina
in reply to wobblybee

Did you had any non invasive treatment for any fibroid? Ou maybe you do this procedure to others people? I am just looking for information because I find that the hospital I was being treated neglected me.

I had uterine fibroid embolisation carried out 2 weeks ago. This is done by going in through the femoral artery and depositing little grains (each about the size of a grain of sand) to block off the blood supply to the fibroid. This effectively kills it and over the course of the next 9 months (ish) they will shrink to little balls of scar tissue. It wasn’t totally non-invasive but was done under sedation rather than general anaesthetic and I had a small incision in my groin (the crease at the top of my leg) which has now fully healed up. Recovery has been ok, I’ve had some pain but that’s treatable with paracetamol etc.

Are you in the UK? I don’t know how widely available the procedure is on the NHS as my consultant mentioned there are currently only 3 doctors trained/qualified to do it, although more are being trained. If that’s true that might explain why it’s not being spoken about/offered as a means of treatment.

Jorgina
Jorgina
in reply to Allimacca

Tks for the explanation. St. Mary's hospital London didn't offer it is a possibility. But you can find this treatment in NHS website. I mean, I find really weird that they just don't say the treatments are not available there but still exists because I would have done it privately. My fibroid was 5cm and now is 11... I'd love to know where you did it. I am about to get a second opinion in another Northwick hospital.

Allimacca
Allimacca
in reply to Jorgina

I’m lucky enough to have private insurance and had mine done at the London Clinic - can’t praise them enough for the treatment and care I received.

Ask your doctor about it and if it’s a possibility for you. The largest of my fibroids is/was 11cm and my doctor wasn’t concerned about it being too large.

Jorgina
Jorgina
in reply to Allimacca

Wow!!! Could I ask what kind of fibroid was it? I have a top right intramural. I did a MRI on St Mary's hospital via NHS and they said it has the possibility of being shrinking (cus the scanner showed white areas). When I questioned if embolization was available privately on UK my consultant got almost offended...

Allimacca
Allimacca
in reply to Jorgina

My big one is an exophytic subserosal fibroid. My understanding of the embolisation procedure is if they can identify the blood supply then there shouldn’t be much of a problem putting the grains in to cut off it’s supply. The chap who’s carried it out is an interventional radiologist rather than a surgeon, whether that’s the reason your consultant was funny about it or not who knows!

At the beginning of this the doctors said they were reluctant to go down a surgical route because mine are very vascular and cutting them out would potentially have created problems with internal scar tissue etc for me.

Jorgina
Jorgina
in reply to Allimacca

Ps. By the time I went there my consultant mentioned only a open surgery was possible and the pill offer a possibility to keep it stable... I feel that I was being neglected, that they should had gave me more information.

You may also like...