Myomectomy laparoscopic not available at one NHS hospital can I choose to be treated elsewhere?


This is my first time on the forums, so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area.

I have been diagnosed with a Fibroid that is causing heavy bleeding. As I still wish to have children a Myomectomy has been recommended but I have been told at my NHS hospital that the surgical team do not have the expertise to perform a laparoscopic myomectomy so it will have to be open surgery. The size of my fibroid does not make a laparoscopic operation neccessarily unsuitable, it is just a hospital restriction.

Does anyone know if I have the right to ask to have the operaton at another NHS hospital? Looking at the recovery times for the two types of surgery, I would much rather not have the open surgery unless it is medically the only option.

Many thanks

5 Replies

  • Hedward,

    If you are in England you have the right to ask to be referred to a NHS hospital which does the procedure to see whether you are a suitable candidate for the procedure.

  • Thank you very much for replying. I will definately try to do that :)

  • You can choose any hospital you like, doesn't have to be in your county. You will need to do some research to find one that can do the op then get a referral.

  • Thank you very much for replying. I will definately try to do that :)

  • Yes you can have it done at another hospital. It is called choose and book and your GP should tell you this is available. Google is to.

You may also like...