Does Vitamin C as calcium ascorbate contains 'Calcium'?

I take high doses of Vitamin C (2000-3000mg) a day. I can't tolerate ascorbic acid well so I take something that contains Vitamin C as calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc ascorbates.

The bottle lists 'Calcium (as calcium ascorbate, citrate & carbonate) 105mg - the total intake I take is around 157mg.

I don't want to overload myself with calcium. Does this mean it contains calcium??

Can anybody point me in the direction of info on the best form of Vitamin C please?

thanks as ever!

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I can't comment on the calcium issue but I take Solgar vitamin c from the Nutri Centre.

• Hi, try Nature's Best, they claim to have a gentle Vit C:

naturesbest.co.uk

and for info on various ascorbate forms try:

lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bi...

• thanks that's useful!

• All of them are different forms of calcium. You can get dietary calcium from many sources - spinach & green leafy vegetables, milk & dairy products, seafood etc. Calcium citrate is derived from fruit & vegetable sources (notably citrus) calcium carbonate is derived from eggshells, seashells and dark green leafy vegetables and calcium ascorbate is the calcium derived from ascorbic acid/vitamin c.

Women need about 1,000mg a day, so you are unlikely to be overdoing it on 157mg supplement, depending on your diet.

This might help:

mayoclinic.com/health/calci...

• I take effervescent Vit C 1,000mg. Is this OK? Ging

• Hi TedHutchinson,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it also contains magnesium ascorbate. This is what I take iherb.com/Source-Naturals-U...

I don't know if I am magnesium deficient or not, I asked GP but he said NHS does not test magnesium levels but he is testing calcium levels.

Unfortunately L-ascorbic-acid makes my tummy very uncomfortable when take them close to my thyroid meds.

There is a caution in taking calcium supplements within four hours of taking some thyroid medications. Do you know whether calcium ascorbate in Vit C qualifies as a calcium supplement?

thanks a lot!

• It is appears we are both wrong! Recommended intake of calcium in the UK for adults is 700mg, (but NHS says OK to ingest up to 1500mg per day)

food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs...

(page 4)

• you can also get vit C as magnesium Ascorbate (Biocare do a a powder) which might be gentler on the tummy and teeth than the straight acid.

• Xanthe, thanks for that! I shall look at that!

xx

• Are you on thyroxine or Armour? There is a caution in taking calcium supplements within four hours of taking some thyroid medications. I don't know whether calcium ascorbate qualifies as a calcium supplement though.

• Hi Heloise,

I am on Nutri Thyroid and Nutri Adrenals only but will start T3 in couple of weeks.

I am curious also to find out if calcium ascorbate qualifies as a calcium supplement, perhaps I should post that as a separate question.

• Hi Heloise,

I am on Nutri Thyroid and Nutri Adrenals only but will start T3 in couple of weeks.

I am curious also to find out if calcium ascorbate qualifies as a calcium supplement, perhaps I should post that as a separate question.

• Just a pointer. If you want to reply to someone directly, you have to click on 'reply to this', otherwise they will not get an email telling them that you have responded.

Louise

xx

• Thanks Louise! will do that!

You may also like...