Low TSH & T4, with a high T3. Help with NDT dosage plse

I am new here. (I have been asking lots of questions over the last few weeks!)

My GP always told me I didn't have a thyroid issue, so I have been self medicating for 8 yrs. My GP finally diagnosed underactive thyroid about 2 weeks ago and asked me to come off all meds and offered me only 25mcgs of Levo. I decided to continue self medicating.

I have recently started upping my dosage as the GP' results showed I was under medicating. (These GP results are underneath these new ones.) As she wouldn't test for Hashi's or Vit D, I just got new tests done with Blue Horizon.

Newest test results:

Anti-thyroidperoxidase abs 11.8 (less than 34)

Anti-thyroglobuline abs 18.1 (less than 115)

Ferritin 139.2 (20-150) I have been taking 2 ferrous fumarate a day since last tests

TSH 0.01 (0.27-4.20) I have upped my armour from 6 grains a week to 7 grains

T4 total 65.3 (64.5-142)

Free T4 10.47 (12-22)

Free T3 7.04 (3.1-6.8) My cytomel remains at 12mgs per day since last test.

Vit D 85 (they say 50 plus is sufficient) Currently I am taking no vits for this.)

B12 1406 (they advise to reduce dose at over 725) I am taking 5000mcgs per day, (and BVITS) then was going to drop to 1000 after a month

S.Folate 45.4 10.4-42.4

My results from the GP 3 weeks ago:

Free T3 2.8 (3.5-6.5)

Free T4 8.9pmol/L (10.0-22.0)

TSH 0.22mU/L (0.10-4.00)

Vit B12 567ng/L (180-910)

Ferritin 67ug/L (10-291)

A

I have had some great advice about my vitamins, from another forum user, but I still need advice on my NDT and T3-Cytomel.

As my T3 is very high now, but my T4 and TSH very low, do I need to reduce my cytomel a bit and up my NDT some more?

Thanks.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • EleanorM-G,

Thyroid antibodies are negative for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's).

If you left 12-24 hours between last dose of NDT and T3 and blood draw you are over medicated. FT3 should remain <6.8. Where you taking 6 or 7 grains + 12.5mcg T3 when you had the test?

You can stop supplementing iron as ferritin is high in range.

VitD 85 is is the replete 75-200nmol/L range.

You're right to reduce methylcobalamin to 1,000mcg. There's no point in peeing out expensive vitamins.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks for taking the time to respond, @clutter:

Yes, I did leave 24hrs between last dose of NDT and T3 before my blood draw, so I can see that in the space of 2 weeks, I have gone from being under medicated to overmedicated! (Possibly because I used to take my NDT and T3 only 3 times a week, where as for the last week, I have been taking it evenly over 7 days, so I think it is "getting in better." I assume this because I have only upped the dosage very slightly after seeing my 1st results. (from the GP, only 2 weeks before the 2nd set of tests.) I am assuming that the major change is taking the medication daily, rather than 3 times a week.

The NDT I take is Armour, (I will be switching to a cheaper brand when this bottle runs out) which of course is a mix of T4 and T3. I was on 7 grains of armour a week when I took the Blue Horizon blood tests. (In 2 grains of armour, there is 76mcg of levo-T4, and 18mcg of liothyronine-T3.) Also at the time of the test, I was on 12.5mcg of liothyronine-T3 per day, which is 87.5mcg per week.

Is it normal that my T3 results would show such a big increase, (too big) when my T4 results have increased only a little and are still too low?

Does this mean I need to increase the amount of T4 I take, whilst decreasing the amount of T3 that I take?

• EleanorM-G,

It's a strange regime to dose 3 x per week and you've effectively doubled your dose by taking it every day instead of 3 x per week.

If I were you I would reduce dose to 3.5 grains daily and retest in 6 weeks.

• No, I haven't doubled my dose, I've split (almost) the same dose over 7 days, so I am taking 7grains per week, which is only 1 grain per day. (Previously I was taking 6 grains per week, but split into 3 doses. (So 2 grains on Mon, 2 grains on weds, 2 grains on Sat)

• EleanorM-G,

Right. I misread your earlier posts.

You are slightly over medicated on 1 grain + 12.5mcg T3 daily. I think FT3 will drop into range if you reduce T3 to 6.25mcg daily.

• Ok yes, that makes sense in order to bring the T3 down a bit. Should I be concerned about the fact that my T4 is still too low?

• Thank you for taking time to reply. I don't feel any better than before & I have had lots of headaches & some insomnia, so I think it makes sense to cut back a bit.

You may also like...