Test Help Please

I have now got the results from my GP who wants to see me, but I can't get an appointment for a couple of weeks.  I have got them printed off and would greatly appreciate some help.  I think it's obvious I need to increase my Levo (on 50 ) but also take amitriptyline 30 for interstitial cystitis.  I also have Hashimotos and Crohn's disease (Crohn's is in ilium but ok at moment). I have had real trouble in the past increasing my levo because I have felt awful so I am in a dilemma.  I felt like I was overdosing on the Levo.  My anxiety has been bad, along with feeling like a zombie, palpatations, and just no energy.  I hope it's the thyroid doing this and not my mind which my GP seems to think it is, along with my age 54!  I get the impression I am supposed to feel like this.

Tsh 4.96 (0.27 - 4.2)

Free T4 14.4 (12 - 22)

D3 40.3 (25-50 means insufficient in their range)

B12 403 (197.0 - 771.0)

Iron 11.2 (6.6 - 26)   Serum Transferrin level 2.55 (2.00 - 3.6)  Saturation Index 19% (15-50)

Ferritin 40 NGOs/m

No T3 or folate tested, cholesterol is a bit high as well.

Depending on what you guys say I was thinking of having the Blue Horizon test which includes the FT3, and now the RT3, and the Adrenal Stress Profile from Genova to get a complete picture of my health.  Do you think both these tests would do that?  I remember getting told many years ago that I had a high Prolactin level but it was nothing to worry about and that's why I think the adrenal stress test might help? 

Please could I have your thoughts.  Thank you.

6 Replies

• Hi. Your gp probably wants to see you because of your high tsh. You really can't analyse the thyroid properly without the t3 test. I went to blue horizon medical on the thyroid site and paid to have the ten tests done. If your gp won't do the t3 then I think its worth it. He probably will increase your levo with a tsh over range. 

• Thanks for info - will look into the tests. 

• Dollyduck,

I think it's a waste of time checking FT3 right now.  TSH is high at 4.96 because FT4 14.4 is a bit low.  FT3 may be quite good due to the high TSH.  You are undermedicated and need a dose increase, and possibly a further increase 6-8 weeks later, until TSH is 1.0 or lower with FT4 in the upper range.  Read Treatment Options in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...  Email louise.warvill@thyroiduk.org.uk if you would like a copy of the Pulse article to show your GP when you request a dose increase.  Cholesterol often drops when thyroid levels are optimal.

Ferritin is optimal >100 to halfway through range.  Supplement iron and take each tablet with 500mg-1,000mg vitamin C to aid absorption and minimise constipation.

vitD is replete 75-200 and most people are comfortable around 100.  Supplement D3 5,000iu for 2 or 3 months then reduce to 5,000iu alternate days.

Iron and vitamin D must be taken 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

PA Society recommend B12 1,000 is optimal.  Supplement 1,000mcg methylcobalamin and take a B Complex vitamin for the other B vitamins.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you for all that - you certainly know your stuff! I had it in my head to do the tests now but your right it will only show I am under medicated. If I up my dose and I continue to feel rough that's when I should do the tests because it might show if I am not absorbing properly.  It will also give me time to get the extra supplements on board which should also make a difference.  I am very grateful for your help & advice.  Thank you again. 

• Dollyduck,

My TSH responded fairly quickly to dose adjustments but FT4 and FT3 took up to 8 weeks, so you might want to wait until 8 weeks after TSH is around 1.0 before ordering a FT3 test.

• Thank you - that's good advice x

You may also like...