Help with results

just received new blood results, any advice would be useful I am taking 125 thyroxine and been taking for 42 years

TSH 0.010

Free T4. 21.55

Free T3. 5.0

Not too concerned at thyroid results

Vit D 60 which is improved from 30 six weeks ago

Vit B12. 252. Which I think is low ........will NHS treat me at this level or will I have to supplement? If I supplement WHAT is best to take and What strength and for how long ?

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Auntyp62, TSH is suppressed, FT4 good if top of range is 22-24, and FT3 good if top of range is 6-7.

VitD 60 is still sub optimal, most people are comfortable around 100 in the 75-200 replete range. How much are you supplementing?

I doubt NHS will treat B12 252 as it is within range. Supplement 5,000mcg methylcobalamin sublingual lozenges, spray or patches for 6-8 weeks to boost levels and then reduce to 1,000mcg daily as a maintenance dose. Take a B Complex vitamin to keep the other B vits balanced.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• gp told me to supplement 5000iu a day for 3 months then to take 1000iu daily as maintenance dose Vit d have been on it 2 months and have gone up to 60.

You say to take 5000 mg of b12 is that a day or weekly?

Thank you for your help

• Auntyp62, I think you may need to continue 5,000iu longer than 3 months and may need 2,500iu as a maintenance dose until April when ultraviolet is strong enough to stimulate vitD. You can buy D3 if your prescription stops.

I suggest 5,000mcg methylcobalamin daily for 6-8 weeks, then 1,000mcg daily. You can quarter the 5,000mcg lozenges to finish them up and buy 1,000mcg when they're finished.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you very much the advice is appreciated

• Quick update, my GP is going to treat my b12 deficiency, due to me having neurological symptoms and i am starting with a course of injections....then in 3 months new bloods to see where we go from there........GP thinks the relief will be quicker......my concern is the fluctuation of levels towards the end of the 3 months. Would the tabs be better in long run at maintaining a steady level?

You may also like...