Newbie needing advice for blood tests

Hi All,

I posted for the first time last week asking for advice before visiting doctor.

In short I had a partial thyroidectomy about 6 years ago and feel I've had under active symptoms since.

I have been referred to endo for a follow up.

I have also been sent for free T4 free t3 and Tsh.

Can I ask when is the best time of day to go, should I fast?

Also for any females am I right it can change through your cycle?

Should I go at a certain point?

Many thanks

Anna

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Fluffy1910, arrange an early morning, fasting (water only) blood draw as TSH is highest early and falls post-prandially. If you are taking Levothyroxine take it after the blood draw. TSH and FT3 levels fluctuate throughout the day night but I'm not aware that they are affected by menstrual cycle.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks Clutter, I plan to go first thing one day next week.

My gp said no need to fast!

Thanks

• Fluffy, if you are hoping for a dose increase, fast. TSH drops after eating.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks Clutter,

I'm not on any medication but think I should be so will definitely take your advice and go early without eating.

thanks

You may also like...