Confused about Vitamin K

I have been hearing a lot recently about how it is best to take Vitamin K with Vitamin D.

I understand it should be Vitamin K2

What I am confused about from what I have read is that Vitamin K helps the blood to clot properly but I though as we got older we would not want our blood clotting because of all the awful results it can cause.

Can anyone enlighten me please? as I cannot get my head around it, maybe the brain fog.

thank you browny

12 Replies

• The Wiki article appears to have been massively enhanced in the recent past. Doesn't make it easy to answer your question in a few words so, rather than my struggling to summarise it, I suggest having a read of the article itself:

• Many thanks for the link,

yes a lot to read but understand a bit more now.

• Browny, We do want our blood to clot properly or we'll bleed out. Someone on anticoagulants might want to avoid supplement vitamin K. This link explains the differences between K1 and K2.

• Clutter, you forgot to post the link, unless you were referring to helvella's wiki link.

• Thanks, HB. I've added it to my post.

• Thank you Clutter,

I panic when I read anything to do with blood clotting due to family history, but understand more about K now.

Thanks for the link.

• Browny, forgot to mention that taking K2 with vitD3 is important for ensuring that calcium in the diet is layed down in bones and not in arteries.

• Please see the video/s that I previously posted about it here:

• Many thanks for the link,

I will watch this evening.

The link below is from 2011 so not sure if more evidence or research has changed

Hope this helps :)

• Many thanks for the links,

yes it does help, I understand more now.

• I take combined vitamin K3 and D3 sublingual tablets to support my bones

You may also like...