Third Week

Hi Everyone

So today marks my third week being smoke free. It was going really well (taking a lot of the quit smoking mints) until the last 48hrs. My chest is really tightening up. Because of this, I can't sleep. I know people say it can feel like its getting worse before it gets better but its not easy to believe that at 5:00am and all I want to do is sleep, etc...

How long would one say these symptoms should or could last. Want this to work so any information is welcome.

Thanks

10 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Hicc79 and welcome to quit support.

it sure can get worse before it gets better, but believe me, it is so worth it :) :)

I got the very tight chest when i quit..to be honest, it felt like my entire rib cage was going to split in two. i had to brace myself if i was going to sneeze and it hurt so much..for me. this started around the 3 to 4 week mark and lasted about a month..

have a read of some of the info under the pinned posts to the right :) :)

Linda xx

• Hiya cc and welcome😊

Well done on your 3rd week quit and sorry to hear about the chest tightness as its terrible at 5am. I would use Vicks chest rub as this helped loosen things up a bit. Also inhale olbas oil in hot water coz the steam opens up the airways a bit. There are some breathing techniques on the right under pinned posts which will also help. Also a bit of excercise can be very beneficial. Good luck with your quitπŸ€

• Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely give these a try. Very appreciated!

• Like many of us, I had a similar experience. As mentioned by Briarwood, breathing and increased exercise worked best for me. I still wake early -- but now feel refreshed and relaxed.

• Aup CC79, a big warm welcome to our lovely quit support community :) and a great big WELL DONE to you for reaching 3 weeks quit :) :)

Like the girls have said, the tightening of the chest is quite common in the early weeks of our quit journey :o BUT, BUT, if in any doubt, just nip and have a word with your GP :) I would try Briarwoods advice, get some Vick and olbas oil to try and loosen that stuff thats in your lungs :) plus the breathing exercises in the Pinned Posts :)

Just wondering CC, have you coughed up much phlegm since you quit :o I know its not very nice, but you have to get rid of it cos this will help your lungs recover :) :)

CC, if you could please let me know your actual quit date, then I can add you to the Wall of Winners and keep your Winners badge upto date :)

Hope to speak soon, Pete :)

• Thank you for your reply. My actual quit date was the 27th of Nov. As for your question - no I haven't coughed up much phlegm since quitting. Just some coughing and now no sleep and feeling tight chested. I plan on trying out Briarwoods suggestions. Fingers crossed lol

Thanks again!

• Hi again CC :)

As for your not sleeping very well, maybe try this :o :)

A glass of warm milk with either 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey always works. Helps produce tryptophan which helps to produce serotonin which is the brain chemical that promotes sleep. Try it . You might be pleasantly surprised :)

Perhaps try the - Breathing exercise 3 :) this helps to slow a busy mind down :) You will find this on the ''Pinned Posts'' to the right of your post :) if you cant find it, then just you shout out and I will gladly repost it for you :)

• Hi CC79 and congratulations on your third week of being smoke free! How cool is that? :-) I'm not there yet, but I'll get there. ;-)

Sorry to hear about your chest pains, it must be terrible at 5 am. I personally haven't felt any yet, but Briarwood's advices seem great. Hope those will help you.

Also, could anxiety be playing a role in your chest tightening up? Some relaxing activities before bedtime, like a walk with the dog (if you have one!) could maybe help?

• Thank you for your post. I think you maybe right about stress as I am in the midst of looking for work in addition to quitting. I am sure they are connected. I don't have a dog but my husband said he would go for walks if that helps. Thanks again!!!!

• Hi CC congratulations on 3 weeks that's brilliant you're doing really well. Sorry you're not feeling well with your tight chest. I haven't had that yet so can't add anything useful sorry. Hope you carry on visiting the forum and good luck πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜†πŸ•πŸ˜†

You may also like...