Robot Knee

Robot Knee

It was last Tuesday I had my new robot knee. I did decide finally, on the morning of the op, to go for a spinal injection as opposed to a general anaesthetic. Over the weekend I'd watched a couple of videos of knee replacements and still had mixed feelings about the choice of anaesthetic. (A bit like choosing baby names. You have 9 months to think about it then change your mind at the last minute)!

I found it a little disconcerting that, as I sat on the bed in the anaesthetist's anti-room, I was giving him directions as to which way the needle should go -

'No, I've got pins and needles in my left leg.'

'No, my right arm's gone dead!'

Then after a few minutes I was squirted with icy cold water up the side of my body to make sure I was well and truly numb.

He got it right and I was wheeled through to theatre. My God, there's no hanging about in there! The anaesthetist tried to keep my attention whilst all the preparation got underway. I was very surprised to see my leg up in the air but assumed they knew what they were doing.

I said I didn't want a sedative (as I was quite interested to hear what was going on). The sounds, of course, were quite gruesome but it all went well. I lost count as the staples went in. They wrapped it in a huge bandage and off I went to recovery.

The triplets came to visit (see photo). They wanted to look at the robot knee underneath the bandage so we're rather disappointed!

The hospital (& staff) was fantastic. I had first class care, the food was great. That is, until Friday morning when I was due to be discharged. It seemed that my 'controlled drug' had to come from larger hospital and that someone had to go in a taxi to collect it! Whoever it was decided not to tell anyone he was back which resulted in a 5 hour wait. During this time, I was a non-patient because I has been discharged (no food, no drugs). Eventually, someone took pity and brought sandwiches and tea but I was in so much pain. Luckily my meds appeared just at the point I was about to start ranting so we were able to go home.

My recovery has been amazing (I think) for one week. I'm rather slow but getting there. ToD xx

8 Replies

  • A robot knee & triplets! All the best! I don't understand the robot knee so will have to look it up. Cheers Doreen

  • We were trying to decide how to describe my knee replacement to our triplet, 3 year old grandchildren. As they have a great interest in robots (& the Bionic Man was a little before their time) we decided 'robot knee' would be something they would understand.

    Thanks Doreen

    ToD xx

  • Hugs for you, my cyborg friend :D I'm glad all went well, despite the triplets' disappointment and your errant deliver-person. xx


  • Your very brave Being awake I would have to be knocked out but I suppose it meant a shorter stay in hospital ,before you know it you'll be running round the block take care

  • I think it's brilliant that you chose to have it done while awake ToD - well done! I know recovery is meant to be much faster this way too. I'd opt for it any day as not squeamish but I am a control freak and hate the thought of decisions being made that I'm not party to. I bet if I'd been able to have my gallbladder out this way things would have gone a lot better than they did. Still all fine now but your experience has made me think and I'd defintely prefer to be awake and aware as you were.

    I love your pic of the tripplets! x

  • So pleased that it went well, and you're home. Now it's a matter of keeping up the exercises .... and resting with your leg up in between. Welcome to the robot knee club!! (My grandchildren prefer bionic knee!!)

    Best wishes, M xx

  • I'm due to have knee replacement surgery on 28 jan . So worried about it as I heard some negative stories . How are you now . What were your symptoms before . Is it ok to ask what age ....I am 60 an have RA .

  • Sorry for the delay in replying Abbirj55 (that's another story). Please don't worry about it.

    Apart from Osteo I also have RA (although my diagnosis keeps changing)! I have spinal stenosis and fibro. I too am 60.

    When I had my new knee on 22 September it was totally wrecked. Both my knees had bothered me for years. I haven't been able to kneel for at least 20 years. I had been hobbling around on crutches for about a year following 2 totally random incidents. Our very lively and over affectionate Labradoodle, Ralphie had run full pelt into my knee causing ligament & tendon damage. The next - I was picking something up off the floor in the hall when my husband came in through the front door and knocked me flying, my right knee hitting the shoe rack with some force. That was last December. It put an end to driving, walking the dogs and using crutches when you have any inflammatory arthritis isn't easy. When I had my op last September I had watched various videos of replacements and on the day of my op decided to go for a spinal anaesthetic instead of a general. I didn't need a sedative and the surgical team were fantastic. I could follow the operation by the sounds but because I couldn't see or feel anything (apart from a bit of moving about) it could have been anything. Yes, it's painful afterwards but we're used to pain, for God's sake! There's always the good old morphine pump! You feel like you're never going to do it but you keep doing the exercises and all of a sudden you're back walking and feeling 'normal again'. Please don't waste time worrying about the op, just think how good it will feel after a few weeks. You'll be fine. Keep me updated, won't you? ToD xx

You may also like...