1. I have met the woman I'm going to spend the rest of my life with and I want to squeeze every single last nano-second out of our life together.
2. Every time I get a cold it turns into a month long chest infection. It's only a matter of time before that develops into something sinister.
3. I'm 34 years old. I'm young. Yet I wake up and wheeze and I can't run up a flight of stairs. Some damage is already done but I have the power to stop doing it. Any damage from now on in is probably irreversible.
4. I've had my rebellious years. I've done it and I'm bored with it, drinking and smoking and the rest - I no longer need a cigarette in my hand to define my personality. I am a cooler, better me without it. I can be creative without it.
5. I want to have kids, and have a good fighting chance to see them grow up and to see my grandchildren.
6. Every month I make a tobacco company executive a couple of hundred pounds richer, while I get worse off in health and wealth.
7. It's just a stupid, no, it's an incredibly stupid thing to do to myself.
8. If I can do this, then I can do anything!