Newbie here!

Hiya! I hope it's all good just to make a sort of introduction post :)

I'm 29, and have struggled with my weight since forever. It certainly became a big deal in my late teens/early 20s when a combination of the pill and various antidepressants made me put on a huge amount of weight. I've half-arsedly tried off and on to lose it over the years, very rarely achieving much.

One of the perks of my job is that I get a "free" gym membership, and this was the push I finally needed to actually get the ball rolling and take this seriously for a change. I joined the gym in July, and it became apparent after a few months that exercise alone wasn't going to do much - after three months I'd gained 2.5kg and I realised that my diet needed an overhaul. I don't like to weigh myself too often, because I'm very easily disheartened, and I find it more worthwhile to do it less frequently and see the overall progress. I finally had the guys to weigh myself about two weeks ago (figured it was the start of the year, couldn't hurt to gain a reference point) and turned out since my October weigh-in, I'd lost 10kg :) I've come this far doing this off my own motivation and discipline, but I figured an online community was a good place for support, since I was a member of one years ago which helped me (mostly) stop self-harming.

So that's a bit about me! It's nice to be here :)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi and welcome CaptainRainbow :)

It sounds as if you're off to a flying start, would you like a 10kg badge to show off? :)

Take a look at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread first and move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you :)

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news :)

Have a look at the 12 week plan, as many people have been successful following it. Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate :)

Although the majority of our daily weigh-in's are now full, we still have spaces in Sunday's and the odd few on other days, you'd be very welcome to join us in one of them. The threads can always be found in the Events section, to the right of the home page, bottom on a mobile.

We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too :)

It's only left for me to wish you well on your journey :)

• I could never say no to a shiny badge :) or showing off, for that matter! I'm hoping to try and get the most out of this place, so thank you for your advice :)

• Your wish is my command, many congrats, it looks fantabulous on you :)

• *twirls* ooh it's so shiny, thank you! Still a long way to go, hopefully many more to come! :)

• I'll look forward to the first upgrade! :D

• Hi CaptainRainbow,

Just a suggestion but if you are getting your gym membership for free, why not pay for the services of a personal trainer for a few weeks, to get you going. It can be extremely motivational having someone who is there just for you for an hour a week, and who can work out how you will get the best out of your membership. Lots of gyms tie this in with a weight loss programme, and again, it might be a motivating aspect of the experience. Good luck!

• Hi Tubbyteacher,

It's something I've considered, however the rates are still pretty steep! I do occasionally see a trainer to change up my routine every couple of months, but I had a horrible experience with a PT a while ago who made me feel awful about myself, so I still have a bitter aftertaste from her, and I'm terrified I'm just going to be judged, so I haven't dared talk to one since :( I should really try to get over it, but yeah. It's not the worst idea, and hopefully I will grow a bit of confidence to try this!

• Good luck with the exercise and having a healthy lifestyle. G

• Thank you George, it's much appreciated :)

• I'm a newbie too. Welcome! Well done on 10kg! That's amazing! How much are you trying to lose?

I only managed 5kg then Christmas arrived!

• To be honest, I don't really have a set target! I know healthy for me is apparently 46-62kg, but I'm currently 109kg, and that just seems so completely unobtainable from where I'm currently standing! Plus I'm generally terrified about loose skin and basically looking worse after weight loss than before it :/

My initial target really is just to get out of the "morbidly obese" category and get my BMI under 40. I think after then I'll reassess, but for now I'm trying to take it in small steps, since the idea of losing half my body weight is incredibly daunting! I suppose I'd like to look how I was when I was 16, which is about 80kg, so that might be a decent target to aim for after that.

Well done on the 5kg though, that's a really good start :)