Jock itch help: I’m looking for some... - Men's Health Forum

Men's Health Forum
18,963 members3,539 posts

Jock itch help

Sure12
Sure12
11 Replies

I’m looking for some advice on jock itch, the inside of my leg and going area is very red and itchy, also sore to touch as if cracked skin. Also I am a bit overweight and lose weight and also get an itch under belly fold. I’m trying to lose weight and have treatment to help get rid, I’m aware however this can come back regularly. My problem is I have a job where I’m sat at a desk for sometime 12 hours a day and I find I can sweat in that area quite a lot during that time any one got any prevention tips in this scenario

11 Replies
oldestnewest
Luke1973

Try washing it daily with Hibiscrub soap. Works like an absolute dream.

3 likes
Ravenhood

Have you seek the doctor? They have ointment to treat it. Probably to apply once after shower, and once before sleep. Change your underwear regularly (and to spanders if possible) and allow the infected area to "breathe". Boxers aren't really recommended because the last thing you want is sweat accumulation; the moisture will worsen the infection and is one of the reasons contributed to the infection.

Menthol products can only temporarily soothe the infected area (may result in burning your skin, causing lesion); but it's better to deal with it ASAP. Note: This can spread (mine did) the more you scratch. Also, you might wanna change your towels from time to time, and strictly no sharing with anyone, which includes washing your clothes (if they are in contact with the infected area). If you see the doc now, you'll cure probably in 2 weeks to a month. Mine took 2 months so... Lol.

P/s. I had mine last year. Even though I've used the ointment, it still itches once a while if I didn't dry the thigh area thoroughly after shower. Also, don't attempt using alcohol or anything to kill the bacteria because (again) it burns your skin (joke's on me lol) and causes lesion!

User1957
User1957
in reply to Ravenhood

Actually for me, changing from briefs to boxers really helped as it gave me ‘more air’ and I still wear them for work (desk job) now.

Cirkdone

As you have tagged it, 'Jock Itch' is a fungal infection. Fungus likes and dark, moist place to grow. If there are sugars in the moisture, it likes it even better.

Two places are particularly attractive to the fungus and it can spread from one place tothe other. These are (a) under a foreskin, particularly a long and tight one, and (b) folds of excess skin from being overweight.

You definitely need to get more exercise and watch your diet carefully to counteract your sedentary work situation and lose that excess weight.

If you are uncircumcised then please carefully check that you can fully retract your foreskin (to expose the entire glans [head] and the 'groove' behind it) and that you use soap and water to wash away all the waste called smegma at least twice a day. Also, ensure that you retract your foreskin to urinate so as not to leave the inside coated with urine. Check that you don't have any infection under there and get it dealt with if you do - circumcision can help here by ensuring there is no place for the fungus to hide!

User1957
User1957
in reply to Cirkdone

Spot on apart from use of soap which can eliminate the friendly bacteria covering our skin and helps counter fungal outbreaks.

Cirkdone
Cirkdone
in reply to User1957

Since smegma is oil based, it is ESSENTIAL to use a mild soap when washing under the foreskin as water alone will not remove the smegma (which is what attracts and feeds the fungus). Provided the soap is rised off fully before drying oneself absolutely NO harm will come from washing properly.

User1957
User1957
in reply to Cirkdone

This is where we disagree, Smegma is different to fungus and doesn’t ”attract and feed” the latter (unless you can provide medical evidence to demonstrate it does). OP hasn’t mentioned a problem in this area in any case, that was your speculation..

Dwainee

My case was similar to yours. Itching between the legs and on belly.

I also sit for approximately 10hrs a day at my desk.

I've tried many things throughout the years none of which worked except Terbinafine Cream and Tea tree oil. Within a few days there were no more itching and discomfort. This combination did the trick. Hope it can be useful to you too.

User1957

Sorry to suggest this, given your description and lifestyle have you had a blood test to check for diabetes?

Evenso

I use Daktacort cream that does help although as a cure it is not.

seanlitar

Ask your doctor for dactacort. This has helped me with stweatrash when working in heat.

You may also like...