Haemophilus Influenzae

Hi

Had anyone ever had Haemophilus Influenzae? Been unwell for months with what everyone thought was a chest infection, couldn't get rid of it with 3 lots of antibiotics. Sputum test showed Haemophilus Influenzae, got different antibiotics now and been on them for 3 days. I made the mistake of googling it as I've never heard of it and it looks scary.

I am on rituximab, I had my last infusion 3 months ago and had this ever since. Immune system must be zero!

11 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • I hope you feel much better soon now that you are on the correct treatment.

• Phew: glad you've got this figured out...am VVVVVV gladπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

I think you've told me you're immunologlobulin levels have been tested & are not below range? Had you ever been vaccinated against haemophilus?

My BIG risk factor is pneumococcus...my hypogammaglobulinaemia (G, A, M) prevents me have any pneumococcus antibodies...even in response to both types of pneumococcus vaccine...BUT somehow I have been able to produce hemophilus antibodies, having had none before recent vaccination by immunology.

Whatever, am seeing immunology at 3-6 monthly intervals & the clinic has me permanently on daily antibiotics due to bring at such high risk of infection (regardless of my treatment with immunosuppressants for lupus). So, am just wondering if you're having full immunologic blood tests. As I understand, these are the 2 biggest risks: pneumococcus & haemophilus vulnerability

Hope someone with haemophilus risk issues replies

Take care...please keep us posted

πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€ coco

• Hi barnclown

No, I haven't been vaccinated, I'm 41 and that vaccination wasn't around when I was a baby. Is it too late to have it now i wonder!

Gosh it's scary stuff 😒 Glad they are keeping an eye on you regularly.

I haven't had those levels tested I don't think. Maybe time to.

Thank you for your reply

Xxx

• No...in my experience it's not too late: as far as I know I'd not had either the pneumococcus nor the haemophilus vaccinations...I was only given them last year because rheumatology referred me to immunology due to my sinister bone marrow blood test results. In the course of investigations, immunology tends to use tests for pneumococcus & haemophilus antibodies + vaccination response as a diagnostic tool...as I was severely deficient in both types of antibody, immunology tried vaccination. first my response to the 2 pneumococcus vaccine was tested: I was unable to make antibodies to both vaccines. Then several months later when I was 63, they tried the haemophilus vaccine & I respond, phew.

Yes, I'm monitored at immunology clinic every 3-6 months. And yes this is scary! But I am reassured by the care I'm getting from I immunology...and by the respect all my other multisystem consultants are giving re my vulnerability to infection. Never once have my lupus meds been blamed, or withdrawal of treatment been suggested...this is because my hypogammaglobulinaemia predates my treatment with immunosuppressants

I wonder what blood tests would reveal about the state of your haemophilus antibodies....and what this current infection signifies.

Take care dear...please let us know how things are going

πŸ€πŸ˜˜πŸ€πŸ˜˜πŸ€

• Hi Joanne

So sorry to read your news, have no experience of it but just wanted to say I hope your better soon now your on the right antibiotics!. Take care. X

• Hey Jo, how are you feeling? Have you noticed any improvement??

• Hi, thank you for asking. Still lousy but a little better I think. Got the gp again today as I'm not sure the antibiotics are working as well as they should after 5 days. Might need a different one.

Jo

• Well it sounds like you have had a really rough time for quite an extended period of time. I hope the GP is helpful. Keep us all updated. Wishing you well. 🌼

• Thank you so much. That's really kind. It's been a long haul 😒

Jo x

• Just curious (and nosey) but are you still on steroids or did you manage to come off them? I remember you were tapering in a previous post.

• Had to go back up again, on 8mg at the moment tapering down 😒 Can't see ever getting off them! Xx

You may also like...