Advice re tetracycline

I have Lupus and now also rosacea. Topical treatment has only been moderately successful and antibiotics are now under consideration. No 1 choice would be oxytetracycline. There appears to be, to me, slightly confusing information available about the potential effect of this antibiotic in those with Lupus. Some places I read that there are case reports (but no proven assocation) of it provoking drug-induced Lupus. Other advice seems to suggest that there is a a definite association with a worsening of existing Lupus. Can anyone provide more clarity here, and has anyone taken it, and what was your experience? Many thanks

3 Replies

• Hi, sorry I have no experience of this drug but I always find my Pharmacist extremely helpful and informative about anything like this.

• There have been some case studies reported of drug-induced lupus as a result of taking tetracycline, but it is doesn't have a proven association.

If you want to be prudent you may want to consult your doctor to see if there is an alternative available.

• Thank you very much for this. This is consistent with the other UK sourced information available (the US information I have seen seems to suggest that this antibiotic has the potential to cause a flare as well as DIL).

You may also like...