What do you think of my diet?: Hello everyone... - Healthy Eating

Healthy Eating

53,146 members9,757 posts

What do you think of my diet?

mrichner profile image

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael and I am a food lover!

In recent months I have changed my diet and eat pescetarian.

I have made a small compilation of what to look for when eating. I can gladly explain these top issues even further. What do you think about it? Is there anything missing, or do you have any questions?

The topics are:

1. Why so many people are overweight

2. Which proteins, carbohydrates, and fats you should eat to lose weight and live a long and healthy life.

3. Are sweeteners healthier than sugar?

4. What does insulin resistance mean and how does it affect health and weight loss?

5. Low-carb vs. low-fat: What suits you?

6. Which drinks should you and should you not drink to lose weight and stay healthy?

7. What are the benefits of fasting for weight loss and your health?

Thank you for your Feedback ;)!

Michael

12 Replies

I do love these kinds of posts, they create an interesting thread..thanks for posting 😊👍

Welcome, Michael from Switzerland 🇨🇭. ( I always wanted to visit your home). Before the discussion begins, what does your diet consist of and why did you decide on pescatarian? ☺️

mrichner profile image
mrichner in reply to Isinatra

You should visit it for sure!!

I eat fish 1-2 times a week, almost completely avoid meat, because I want to eat more plant proteins instead of animal proteins.

I eat every morning a müsli with yogurt, berries, 2 handfuls of nuts, flaxseed, and coconut flakes.

Otherwise, I eat a lot of legumes, vegetables, salad, and dark chocolate from time to time.

In my opinion, the list I mentioned contains the most important questions that you have to ask and answer when it comes to a healthy diet. Maybe you can tell me some points I missed in a healthy diet and lifestyle :)

Without wanting to be judgemental, number 1. People eat differently to what they are designed to eat. Not just a little (it's nonsense proclaiming that eating a couple of biscuits less per day will enable all the weight loss a body needs), but way off-base due to conditioning by vested interests.

Essentially, the whole of the developed world follows guidance from the USDA that puts their duty to sell crops above the health of people.

That's not to say we can't tolerate some grain consumption for instance, but that it has been grossly over-emphasised in our diet.

Any theory that focusses on lowering natural-fat intake without any consideration of what the inevitable increase in protein and/or carbohydrate intake will do to insulin levels, and thereby fat formation in the body, is fatally flawed.

I agree. Humanity is too much. In my opinion, it always depends on the quality of the food (carbohydrates, fats, proteins).

In addition, everyone must find out for themselves which diet suits their body.

Unfortunately, IMHO, this has been propagated to divide and conquer. The point is that certain indices do exist to determine what we are suited to. For instance, we don't have the enormous hind-gut of a gorilla, so we aren't suited to the fibrous plant diet they eat that many people are trying to convince us is best for us. Ergo, we don't have the amount of bacteria they do that converts all of those fibrous plants into fat; we are designed to eat the natural fat in sufficient amounts.

So that brings us to the next question for your list; what does the body use, and consequently we need to eat to replace what has been used, to prevent severe depletion/deficiency/exhaustion?

And what is your answer to that question?

My goal is to help people reduce their weight as well as living a long healthy life without getting diseases of old age at an early age.

I talked to people of my environment, and I told them to consider the questions above (I answered the questions for these people).

For that reason it is important for me to get a Feedback if I should tell them some other topics as well. That's why I'm here to improve myself and learn more about nutrition.

Let's start with macronutrients. The RI for protein is 50g per day; that should be adequate for 50% of the population. Who might need more than that? Well, bigger people of course, and those that build muscle? However, if you gained 20 lbs of muscle in a year, that would amount 25 g per day, and only 32 additional kcal per day. Most of that weight is water and whilst a majority of the additional kcal consists of protein, a significant amount consists of fat (by weight, 22% and 8% respectively, bearing in mind that fat has more than twice the kcal per gram as we are reminded).

The optimal amount of carbohydrate is not so little that the body attempts to make up the deficit from other foods (ketogenesis), nor so much that the excess is converted to fat (de novo lipogenesis). About half the current RDA would be ideal for most people. The role of carbohydrate has been over-emphasised in activity for example. Even at a heart rate of 150 bpm, the ratio of fuel used by the body will be about 50:50 fat to carbohydrate. The more sedate an activity, the more fat will be used, down to a level of about 80:20 for a steady 2 hour walk.

And that is why the body is designed to get most of its energy from natural fat. It is the most inert of the macronutrients. Both carbohydrate, and to a lesser extent protein stimulate large amounts of insulin, compared to natural fat that stimulates relatively little.

Protein also stimulates mTOR; a nutrient sensor that allocates resources to growth rather than repair, potentially increasing the risk of cancer for instance.

Ron Rosedale hypothesises that cancer is initially dependent on carbohydrate for fuel, as single-celled organisms without mitochondria cannot utilise fat.

Human body fat is 57% monounsaturated, 40% saturated, and just 3% EFAs. This is the ideal for us, so ingesting about 3:2, MUFA to SFA with the incidental amounts of EFAs from wholefoods is a practical guideline.

God bless you.

I don’t think I could give you any pointers. You’ve found a lifestyle that works for you. My diet is similar to yours, but I like a little more animal fat. Not a lot, a little more. It keeps things interesting and my cholesterol numbers have stayed down in spite of.I can’t take statins. My weight is good for my age and bloodwork comes back normal. Simple.

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it :).

You may also like...