Healthy Eating
31,171 members4,267 posts

Elderly newbie

Hello everyone, I am 73 yrs. old and have enjoyed good health until recently apart from reflux problems...now my blood pressure is high and so is my cholestrol...I have stopped eating sweets and cake which I did daily...I am now eating fish, roasted vegetables and have fruit every day...I keep away from fries and anything spicy...is there anything else I can eat that would help?

37 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Tunisia1,

Welcome to the Healthy eating forum.

These links might be of help, they are from NHS choices (which this forum is linked to) and you mentioned that your blood pressure is high and also your cholesterol, so I thought they might be helpful pages for you to look at as a potential starting point:

nhs.uk/livewell/blackhealth...

nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyhear...

Zest :-)

Thanks so much.

1 like

I wouldn't worry about high cholesterol, it's actually beneficial to have high cholesterol as you get older.

'Population studies in Japan show that people of all ages with higher cholesterol live longer.'

medium.com/the-mission/high...

bmcgeriatr.biomedcentral.co...

Also, have you had your Magnesium levels checked?? If not, you probably are deficient, because around 80% of us are deficient in this essential mineral and it is needed for over 600 functions in the body (Including maintaining 'healthy' cholesterol levels and blood pressure!).

magnesiumeducation.com/how-...

livescience.com/55355-magne...

You do need to be careful supplementing Magnesium orally because it can be hard to absorb for some people and to get enough, could cause a laxative effect, which won't be helpful. This is why I make my own Magnesium oil and it's cheap and easy to make and effective at increasing Magnesium levels!!

ancient-minerals.com/transd...

1 like

Great that I don`t have to worry about my cholesterol...never had my Magnesium levels checked...I will ask the Dr. about that. I was very healthy until I started eating sweets and cake every day, I`m still struggling to stay of them even though it`s been 2 weeks.

What had the doctor said about the cakes and sweets?

He said ...give them up...which I have done which has been very hard. lol

1 like

Did he say anything about counting carbs?

No he didn`t.

Would you like me to explain how to do this?

I would really appreciate that...thank you.

1 like

Okay!😀 I will send you a message with an example of what you can do.

1 like

Please check your private messages. I have just finished the example for you.😀 Sorry for the delay.

Thank you so much Activity....that was so helpful.

1 like

Please read this before you ask your doctor for a Magnesium test. The normal tests the doctor will give are not accurate enough:

healthunlocked.com/afassoci...

mymagnesiumdeficiency.info/...

1 like

Hi Tunisia

It’s good that you are avoiding sweets and cakes, but I’m not sure that you need to avoid spicy food (?)

Check that you aren’t eating any foods containing added sugar, like low fat yoghurts or breakfast cereal. Also a good idea to avoid white bread, pasta or rice and go for higher fibre foods. Make sure you get some regular exercise too.

1 like

Thank you Penel...the reason I don`t eat anything spicy is if I do I am killed with heartburn and indigestion. I just have toast for breakfast...beans on toast for lunch...chicken or fish for tea with lots of roasted veg. between times I have fruit. I have only started this eating routine 2 weeks ago...so I hope it helps bring my blood pressure and Colestrol down.

1 like

Are you able to,eat any dairy, oats or eggs? There are some tasty recipes in the pinned posts.

Yes I can eat those.

1 like

For high blood pressure, try to reduce your salt intake. It's surprising how much salt there is in the food we buy!

Salt is not the problem with high blood pressure, just like saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease. Lack of Magnesium definitely could cause high blood pressure though, as I stated above.

High blood pressure: Sodium may not be the culprit: medicalnewstoday.com/articl...

scientificamerican.com/arti...

Sometimes it`s hard to know what is good for you and what isn`t. I think I will try the Magnesium though.

You can get magnesium from the food you eat, especially leafy greens like kale and spinach. I’m not keen on taking supplements, your body absorbs things better from real food.

When it comes to what is good for you and what isn’t, I’ve gone back in some areas, to how we used to eat before there was all the ready-made food now on the market. We often have eggs for breakfast, sometimes with bacon. We also eat live culture plain yoghurt and add banana, some nuts and seeds, which are also a good source of magnesium.

Regards to Magnesium, most food nowadays is quite deficient to depleted soils, this is why I supplement it.

Buy organic veg?

Even if it's organic, it still depends on how much Magnesium is in the soil. If organic farmers add Magnesium to their soil, then yes, the foods grown in that soil would probably have enough Magnesium without having to supplement.

'Where Do Foods Containing Magnesium Come From? …From Soil Containing Magnesium

It is well known among experts that the quality of our crops is decreasing. In 2004, the Journal of the American College of Nutrition released a study which compared nutrient content of crops at that time with 1950 levels. Declines were found as high as 40%. '

ancient-minerals.com/transd...

This is probably why so many people are deficient nowadays, despite many eating more organic foods. Therefore I would just say, yes eat your organic forms of Magnesium, but it also will do no harm to make up some oil, to make sure you are definitely getting enough!

Are there any other leafy greens apart from cabbage, kale and spinach....I love spinach.

This is a useful article on magnesium in different foods.

healthline.com/nutrition/10...

1 like

I have stopped taking salt...I use lemon juice instead.

You do need some salt!! Lemon juice is no substitute for salt. You need to make sure you're eating refined table salt though, as this is unhealthy. Opt instead for good quality sea salt (From unpolluted waters, not just cheap Saxa brand salt or similar) or Himalayan is best.

Thank you Dottie....I will look out for Himalayan salt....I will try the health shop.

1 like

So he is saying to take salt...I`m so confused.

Hi Tunisia1,

I think this article is quite helpful regarding the issue of salt in the diet:

healthline.com/nutrition/sa...

I hope it's helpful to you.

Zest :-)

1 like

Thank you Dottie.

1 like

I should just eat a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and try and cut out the bad stuff, is cakes and biscuits. Try to cook everything from scratch too. Its all very confusing I know.

1 like

I have stopped eating cake sweets and biscuits....also I am making my food from scratch and including lots of veg....my main meal is either chicken or fish (I just had mackeral) with cabbage sprouts turnip and spinach.....it was lovely.

You may also like...