Overstimulated brain

Hi, I've noticed recently that if I've been in a group of people for 2 or 3 hours in the day my brain can get overstimulated and I really struggle to sleep that night. Does anyone else have this and is it related to fibromyalgia? I spend quite a lot of time on my own as I work from home on the computer so I'm not used to spending time with people regularly. Does anyone have tips on dealing with this? I don't want to miss out on social events because of this.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi bakinglover

I think it might be worth speaking to a your GP.

I dont think its the social aspect pain been stressed or overwhelmed can be part of brain stimulation.

Even caffeine.

Just be certain by speaking to your GP.

:):)

• Yes I get this, if we have visitors or been out visiting when everyone has gone and its quiet my head is whirling with all the things we talked about , I can't watch a film late in the evening either as I know I won't sleep., we went to a show a few weeks ago and I couldn't get to sleep as the music was still in my head, don't know if it's related to fybro but I don't think it's anything to worry about just be aware of It and try and relax afterwards, with a nice bath, take care

• Thanks for your reply. Yes I think I need to find ways to relax my brain after a social event. A bath sounds like a good idea. I did wonder if it was related to fibro or just part of my introverted personality!

• Yes and chuck in some relaxing aromatherapy oils like lavender etc, I do think though the more time you spend on your own you find a lot of company and noise just too much , we are just two of us retired and it's very quiet if we get a houseful of family it's really strange as we're not used to the hustle and bustle, , we'll have to get out more lol , take care

• Hi Bakinglover

I am so genuinely sorry to read this my friend, and it could be a case of sensory overload that can lead to stress and anxiety. *Wikki says:

*Sensory overload occurs when one or more of the body's senses experiences over-stimulation from the environment. There are many environmental elements that impact an individual. Examples of these elements are urbanization, crowding, noise, mass media, technology, and the explosive growth of information.[1] Sensory overload is commonly associated with sensory processing disorder. Like its opposite sensory deprivation.

It also associates it with:

As component of other disorders:

Fibromyalgia (FM)

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

Among other medical conditions. I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck and please take care of yourself my friend.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken

• I find a cup of warm milk with honey stirred into it and taken before bedtime helps me to unwind after a busy or hectic day/evening. That and reading a chapter or two of a book.

Otherwise my brain feels wired and I go over and over things in my head.

• Thanks Ken and Mariliz for your replies. I'm trying to switch off from tv, phone etc an hour before bed to help my brain unwind. I might try the warm milk with honey, thanks for that.

You may also like...