Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,655 members50,913 posts


i think i suffer from Fibromyalgia but how do i go about it i am very unwell person currently have type 2 diabetics . epilepsy . arthritis and depression just dont want to go gp with this and not being disrespectful my gp is not very helpful for every thing paracetamol is the answer what options i have to atlest rule out as the symptoms are same and i am suffering

6 Replies

Hi ayeshaamara welcome to our wonderful forum ☺ I'm sure you will come to find the forum invaluable in chatting to others who are going through the same experience as you, talking to others at different stages of their lives with Fibro and learning from their experiences.

I completely understand where you are coming from with your doctor and the conditions you already have. A lot of people with fibro quite often have other conditions. Your best way forward my friend would be to see a different doctor, ask your receptionist if they have a doctor that already has Fibro patients or knows more about it. Even change doctors completely because if your doctor is unsympathetic to your pain, it's going to be very difficult for you.

It takes quite a long time to diagnose Fibro. you have to have lots of blood tests to eliminate other conditions like, RA Lupus, Limes Disease, etc. If all these come back clear & you have joint/muscle pain for (I think) about 3 mths. your GP should refer you to a Rhuematologist & they will do more tests before they will diagnose Fibro. So it's a long process normally. In the meantime, please do go look at the mother site where you will find all the information you need and lots of useful links on Fibro and I look forward to chatting to you on the forum.

Peace, luv n light

Jan xx


For changing your GP, you will need to make an appt with the practice manager at your surgery.. Keep it simple, just say something like, you feel your present GP is not supporting you. it's easy really, a lot easier that I thought it would be. And I'm so glad I did change my GP within the surgery.

1 like

Sometimes it's just all about asking the right questions to your gp. A lot of us just keep on complaining to our gp about the pain/tiredness or what ever it might be and don't get anywhere, It might be more helpful to ask the doctor to refer you to a rheumatologist or pain clinic or ask if a particular pain medication is suitable for you.

Don't give up!!

I hope you get the help support you need

1 like

Hi ayeshaamara

I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you possibly can be today? Welcome to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I am so genuinely sorry to read of the problem with your GP, and as the others have said it may be best to change GP and / or practice if possible? I would also push for a referral to a Rheumatologist as Makinglemonade suggested.

I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck and please take care of yourself my friend.

All my hopes and dreams for you



First, what makes you think you have Fibromyalgia? What problem are you having that makes you think it could be Fibromyalgia? Whatever it is , that is what you talk to doc about. There is a trigger point test he could do and that usually is the first thing to identify Fibromyalgia. 😘. Follow up with your GP with new symptoms you are having and your concerns. There is no cure , can only treat symptoms, make a list so when you talk to him, you remember to include anything new that you are dealing with that he is not aware of with other illnesses you fight 😘. I truly pray it is not Fibromyalgia but if it is, we all know a few tricks to help you deal with it and are here for you . Keep us posted on what you find out .

1 like

I realy dont know as i think or bleave but my gp is so difficult thats my main problem and the surgery only have 1 gp other died of cancer and not being replaced been year now.

So i cant change as i am wheel chair bound and this one is closer.


You may also like...