Fibromyalgia Action UK

Work and ESA

Hi all !

I phoned the job centre about claiming for NI credits . He told me to claim ESA as usual to get my credits paid, as that is all I would be entitled to . I would need to supply sick notes , of which I have none as I reduced hours when it got too tough and didn't claim anything ( my gp is aware ).

When I asked if I would have to attend work related stuff , he said I would ! even though I still work 8hrs and volunteer in a charity shop 2 hrs a week !

I feel like I am going round and round in circles and not getting anywhere !!!!

Is it true that Claiming Credits Only means you have to attend work related stuff ?????????????????

I think this may be wrong, as I am still working the hours I am able !

Is there anyone that knows ????????????

4 Replies


I'm in the Support Group for ESA and the lady at the Job Centre rings me on a regular basis to see if I've magically got better!!!!

I know it sounds a bit daft, but have you tried calling the DWP or the Job Centre again and try to get put through to a Manager who may be able to advise you better?

Unfortunately if you are requested to go for an interview I do know that they will stop your money immediately if you don't attend.

Have you looked on the Benefits and Work topic on the forum?

I'm really sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but I'm not sure what else to suggest.

It does sound completely ridiculous though. My personal opinion is that the genuinely sick people are targeted because we are vulnerable when we are ill.

Good luck. I hope you get your query resolved.


Lu xx


Thanks LU, I agree ,that the most vulnerable people are targeted ! The government make you jump through hoops don't they x


I have checked this in the 'Disability Rights Handbook'.

You cannot get ESA if you are still working. One of the criteria is that you are not in work. The exception is something called 'permitted work'. You must not earn more than £20 a week doing it.

Permitted work includes work as part of your treatment as an inpatient or outpatient of a hospital and work opportunities and experience for disabled people run by a community interest or local organisation.

As you are working 8 hours you are not eligible for ESA, but you may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which you can claim even though you are working. It has two components - Care and Mobility.


Thankyou , I appreciate your comment x


You may also like...