Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,766 members51,027 posts


My partner and I and looking to move into out first house together, but we are having so trouble with how esa works. My partner is the one claiming esa and I work 10 hours a week, so money will obviosuly be deducted from his money. But the big thing im worrying about is how long it will take to process addding me onto his claim as how can they expect us to live off my wage for a long period of time while the claim is reassesed. Anyone know how long these reassessments take? any advice would be great.

6 Replies

Hi Bee, firstly welcome our site, which I certainly consider to be the very best with lots of advice and support to hand. You may be able to find some information on this is you visit our Mother site If not if you send a private message (by clicking on the envelope on the top green bar) to Mdaisy and I am sure she will be able to give you the correct information.


I'm sorry I can't be of more help but my own experience doesn't include your situation.

Wishing you the very best and I hope you find the information you need. :-)

Foggy x


Hi Bee_Xx

I sincerely hope that you and your partner are feeling as well as you possibly can be today? I was wondering if either of you get income support at the present time? As you will be entitled to this when living together and it should only take a couple of weeks to sort this out?

Also, you say he gets ESA, I was wondering if either of you get the new PIP which replaced DLA? As this is a non-taxable benefit and not included in the assessment and awarding of other benefits.

I presume that you will be renting? If so, with your combined income you should be eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction which replace Council Tax Benefit?

I have pasted the links for you to Income Support, PIP, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction below:

I want to wish booth of you all the best of luck and I genuinely hope that you are both really happy in your new home.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken x


Hi have you been to an advice centre sometimes they can push claims forward


If you are claiming income ESA then your wages will or can be part of the payment however if you had paid 24 months NI before the claim you could get the full amount on Support ESA.



Not sure if you ave have tried, but have you tried calling the department, or better still your partner would need to call if its their claim. By speaking to them it gives them the opportunity to check if they need any further info that you need to provide to help with the claim..

Any change of circumstances claim, for whatever reason usually is gone through with a fine toothed comb, however the Department would usually know roughly how long current claims are taking to process. I hope its not too long xx


Hi thank you for all your kind comments and helpful advice and my partner is not currently on DLA, income support or pip. He is on the support side of esa, my partner contact them today and they have said that is it likely that his benefit will not stop, while he it is being assessed again for adding myself on. I am thankful that he has finally got some information after ringing them so many times and getting no where.

Thanks again for all your words of support and advice

Bee x


You may also like...