Fibromyalgia Action UK
40,279 members52,380 posts

How does one get a fibro diagnosis?

I know the internet is not the best place for getting information and we can end up with every illness known to man but reading symptoms, but I have all the classic symptoms of fibro, sore places, arthritis in many joints, raynauds syndrome, muscle pain, etc etc, When I go to see my doctor, although I try and tell them all the symptoms, they say they can only deal with one problem at a consultation, so all the symptoms are not getting tied up. Because I have had depression in the past (reactive after a few family tragedies coming all at once) they now decide that my problem is always depression when I know it is not, I am getting frustrated because I can't get anyone to listen to me. all they seem to do is want me to take antidepressants, when I say what is getting me down is all this pain and not knowing what is going on. I have never been refered on to anyone for the arthritis so seem to be hitting a brick wall all the time. Can you tell me how or who gave you the diagnosis and should I ask to be referred to a specialist? Many thanks!

8 Replies

I got mine frm a ruemotologist ask ur dr for a referral x


Hi there, I think the first person you should see is your doctor, you could ask him about the trigger point test, if he/she knows about fibro, they will understand, failing that, as crissy mentioned you could ask to see a rheumatologist. Some doctors are not very knowledgeable about fibro, some of them can be very dismissive of it, if you find that to b the case, look for another doctor who does understand because that will help you a lot.

Wishing you the very best :-)

Foggy x


Hi Sussiepost

My advice to you is this make an appointment to see your GP, tell the receptionist you need a longer appointment is she says that they are all a standard 3 mins tell her these words which I will type in caps for u to write down THAT THEY ARE NOT MEETING YOUR NEEDS FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF A CONTINUATION OF PATIENT CARE THAT YOU ARE REQUESTING A LONGER APPOINTMENT TO DEAL WITH YOUR NEEDS AND YOU WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO REPORT THEM TO THE CARE QUALITY COMMISION (CQC). This should seriously get their attention.You can if you wish write to your GP before hand but also before you go write down all of your problems everything take this with you give this to your GP tell him that u want him to look at it and take it seriously, if he says they can only deal with one thing at a time tell him it is all related and not individual and if he is unable to then ask to be refered to a rumeotologist. U need to be tough take no rubbish from them it is up to u to get a diagnosis its your body u are the one suffering with pain and they are not helping you in any way so u have to draw a line and make demands on them that is what they are there for. They are meant to provide you with a service covering your medical and emotional needs they are not meeting either of these explain this to them, the best way to do this is to write a letter and keep a copy they will not ignore this and tell them how you feel, then go and see your GP. Hope this helps but do get tough with them be strong xxxx


Hi there Susiepost, I have been through exactly the same with symptoms from 2010, I eventually decided to go private to get some answers , I got the dr list from here found a wonderful dr that listened, diagnosed with m.e/c.f.s that a virus on 2010 triggered, am also adrenal fatigue and sub optimal thyroid, but have still been in a lot of pain that seems to be increasing, didn't have appt with private doc again till late dec so in desperation as now the pain was stopping me sleeping :-((( I booked an appt with my nhs dr, he wasn't available so saw a new dr, i showed him the diagnosis letter from my private dr and i jad written a huge list of symptoms and how these affect my daily life and he diagnosed me with fibro and confirmed that I was not going nuts!! I'm now waiting for a referral . I was very lucky I think if I had seen my usual dr I wld have been fobbed of yet again with stress, definitely see a different dr at your practice or chamge surgeries and don't give up, if you can afford even one private appointment just for diagnosis I would do it, just research dr first, don't give up there are good drs out there who will listen and help you, it's so awful when they won't listen you start doubting yourself. But don't doubt youself, you know your body and you shouldn't have to suffer.

Please let us know how you get on and I hope you get a diagnosis very soon. Hugs Angel xxx


GP suggested I had it and wanted to treat me with amitriptyline. Like you I have had severe depression 13 years ago so felt he was saying it was all in my mind and I knew it wasn't, he explained it and I tried the amitriptyline, side effects of dry mouth, dreadful lethargy in the morning but at least some sleep and pain relief, so much so that I thought it probably was all in my mind and decided to stop the medication. Big mistake now accept that I do have it, problem is getting others to understand (I'm a teacher) and Head doesn't understand my need to have a break at lunch time, go home on time and be warm otherwise I just can't function. Have researched it all a lot the best advice seems to be find a GP who is knowledgeable and sympathetic. Despite my initial doubts I now know that mine is. Good luck with getting a diagnosis, and some pain relief that works for you.


HI, i'm sorry you're having difficulties getting your doctor to understand that your problems are not just depression. I've had that too. You need to ask your doctor to refer you to a Rheumatologist to get a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia or to rule out other conditions. You have a right to be referred to a specialist.

Good Luck!



Hi just explain to gp and ask to see rumatologist.


If your gp is unhelpful you can refer yourself to physiotherapy at local health center or hospital. I have found them to be very knowledgable and helpful, they can get your doctor to refer you for treatment and they want to know all your symptoms and difficulties so they can make a thorough investigation. Good luck.


You may also like...