Should I cancel my FET? Major panic!! - Fertility Network UK

Fertility Network UK

26,750 members38,265 posts

Should I cancel my FET? Major panic!!

Kitcat12
Kitcat12

I've had my thyroid function test results back and my TSH levels are extremely high. I'm due to have a FET next week, have been taking an increased dose for a few days but I'm having a total meltdown about my levels being this high. I can't cope with the idea of the cycle being cancelled but equally, I can't risk miscarrying again because my levels are so high. Any advice would be massively appreciated. I don't know what to do for the best 😞

28 Replies
oldestnewest

Hey how high are they? I know both situations are gutting but if it were ne & they're sky high I would wait. I had to do the same last year (not that my clinic would have let me transfer) and its crap but better to have the best chance of success. You don't want to feel like you may have wasted a precious embryo!! Hugs.xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Cinderella5

Thanks for your reply lovely, TSH is 8.8, so pretty high I think 😞 I'm in a bit of a mess

Cinderella5
Cinderella5 in reply to Kitcat12

Oh that is quite high, my clinic wouldn't let me transfer until I got it under 2!😔 I think it would be better to get your meds upped and postpone. Sorry probably not the answer you wanted to hear.xxx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Cinderella5

😞 I'm absolutely devastated honestly. I'll take my results to the clinic on Thursday when I'm due for my lining scan. Pretty sure they'll cancel. Like you said, it's better not to waste an embryo. How long did it take for your levels to normalise?

Cinderella5
Cinderella5 in reply to Kitcat12

Mine took around 3 months to go down but down go by me....I'm a bit of nightmare at responding to meds! I hope it sorts itself out quickly!!xx

I can’t answer your question as I’m having a natural cycle, I’ve had ups and downs too - for different reasons.

I just wanted to wish you luck x

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to AJJ123

Thank you for your well wishes!

I haven’t been in your situation but I would want to know the embryo had the best chance. So I would personally get the tsh under control first. In the past I had to put trying on hold due to my endometriosis & surgeries it’s gutting isn’t it. But sorting it out gets you closer to your BFP. xoxo

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to jess1981

The logical side of me knows you are 100% right and I should get it under control first. That is hard for me to accept right now though. I'm also feeling massive guilt at not getting my levels checked last time I became pregnant. This could've caused my MC 😞

jess1981
jess1981 in reply to Kitcat12

It’s really difficult I found it awful putting my trying on hold & that is just trying. I can’t imagine how heartbreaking to put treatment on hold would be.

The miscarriage is definitely not your fault in anyway. Usually miscarriages are because the embryo just wasn’t right ( normally a chromosome issue with the embryo) & nothing you could’ve done to prevent it happening.

Look as giving yourselves the best chance & will be worth waiting for 🙂 perhaps let your hair down & treat yourselves xoxo

No experience of thyroid stuff but I'd wait. You're upset thinking about that right now after waiting so long, but you know you want to give this the best shot possible xxx

You're right. I definitely want to give our embryo the best possible chance. Mostly I'm furious that not a single dr has discussed any of this with me and I've only found it out off the back of my own research and testing. Just feel crap!

I never had any indication of thyroid trouble but before we started IVF had to have tests including blood tests and a doppler on my thyroid just to rule any problems out. I think you're totally right to be frustrated that this was never brought up, it does seem to be on the checklist of things affecting fertility that should be looked into.

But... you've got the information now, knowledge is power, and in a little while you can have your transfer knowing you're absolutely 100% the best you can be to give it a chance xxx

Good that you got them checked, personally I would wait until TSH is under 2.5 so you know everything is optimal xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Sarah_37

Thank you, I'm so glad I went and got them checked!!

Sarah_37
Sarah_37 in reply to Kitcat12

Hope it all works out well for you and you are successful, thyroid conditions are so overlooked and it’s so frustrating. Make sure they increase your dose if pregnancy is achieved too as I have just had a battle over that xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Sarah_37

I was having a rant about this the other day. I miscarried in December at 6 weeks... nobody had mentioned increasing my dose. I'm now thinking a lot about whether this may have caused the MC. It's very upsetting and I agree that it feels as if nobody at the clinic is taking my condition seriously or is even aware of it really.

Sarah_37
Sarah_37 in reply to Kitcat12

I feel so upset and angry for u too. I had a mc a few years ago at 10wks before I was diagnosed but I often wonder if it had something to do with it, there’s always a lot of what ifs with mc but it doesn’t make it any easier. I haven’t been impressed with my clinic this time as I feel they just stick to their set protocols but don’t take into account individual health conditions which can have a major impact. I also mentioned to them my concern over the interaction with progynova and thyroxine but they weren’t interested, I had my levels checked when I got my positive test and my TSH has gone up to 4.3 from 1.8, luckily it was still just in normal range and they have upped my dose and checking it regularly now. I really hope it all works out for u well this time xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Sarah_37

Thank you, I hope so too!

Hi Kitcat,

I’m so sorry for this news and a possible delay. I’d definitely wait until your levels are lower. As disappointing as it is, it’s worth the wait.

Please try not to be so hard on yourself. You can’t know what you don’t know. The important thing is you took initiative and figured it out on your own. You’re doing everything you can for yourself and your future baby. I totally understand your frustration with the process. We need more awareness and the tools to be our own advocates.

We’re here for you and wishing you a great response to the medication. My levels came down by 2 in only a couple weeks. It may not take too long. Xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Foodie23

Thank you so much, this is really encouraging to read. I've read that Progynova can send TSH levels up, so maybe it's worth considering an unmedicated FET for next time. You're right, now I know I can be more of an advocate for myself. Is just sad that I have to be, feel let down by the drs.

My TSH levels were 8.6, increased meds for 6 weeks and it dropped to 2.5 and my clinic went ahead with transfer. It is gutting to delay but also you want the best result xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Alb1234

Thank you so much for this response! Can I ask what your dose was increased to? I'm hoping that 2 weeks on my higher dose of 150mg before FET may just be enough to bring it down enough to proceed with transfer (wishful thinking maybe?)

Alb1234
Alb1234 in reply to Kitcat12

I was originally on 150, increased to 175 and still on that dose now, 5 months later xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Alb1234

Thank you for sharing. I'll re-book bloods in a few weeks to check levels again.

Hi really sorry but it's best to postpone. High TSH increases risk of miscarriage..

Have you had your antibodies tested also?

It's worth checking.

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Today I had my results and my TSH is now too low at 0.09!

I am now worried this may affect my first IVF cycle. But thyroid levels are extremely important and should be checked and under control. Have you ever been seen my endocrinologist? Xx

Kitcat12
Kitcat12 in reply to Kiedy84

I've had the condition since birth as I was born without a thyroid. I'm not sure it's possible to have antibodies when I don't have a thyroid but I'll be sure to ask my GP. I'm not under a consultant anymore but I was until I turned 18, which is why I'm so shocked that they never mentioned that this would effect my fertility. Thanks for your reply, I think it's looks like I'll be postponing the cycle 😞

Interesting development today ladies, I managed to convince my GP to rush through repeat bloods for me today before my clinic appointment tomorrow and now my TSH has come down to 3.8. Still elevated but so much better than 8.8! Transfer is planned for next week which gives me another 5/6 days for it to come down further. So all hope of transfer next week is not yet lost. Feeling pretty bloody elated!

You may also like...