Help advice on covid vaccine when pregnan... - Endometriosis UK

Endometriosis UK

55,732 members44,695 posts

Help advice on covid vaccine when pregnant?!

Chloelouise92 profile image

So I’m roughly 10/11 weeks pregnant and have already had the first dose of aztrazeneca just before I fell pregnant and have been advised to have the second however when you look into the research there’s not an awful lot on how safe it is for pregnant women. Just wanted to see others opinions or if anybody else that’s pregnant what you plan to do? Thank you

Chloe x

11 Replies

If I was pregnant I wouldn't have it.I'm not pregnant and still not going to get it. My children are also not going to get it (2 and 3yo but you never know how young they will 'approve' it for).

I have read so many people having adverse reactions, I know people who have had adverse reactions.

I had my first one just before I fell pregnant and If I wasn’t I would defo have my second but I’m a bit unsure on things with how it could potentially effect the baby 😕

I would ask your doctor and do what feels right to you. There is so much out there that can sway you one way or the other, but at the end of the day you have to do what feels right and good to you. ❤️

Chloelouise92 profile image
Chloelouise92 in reply to Krn210

Yeah I think I will get another opinion. It’s difficult isn’t it, I think because I work in a school as well that makes a difference. If I had a job where I could be much more careful I would probably wait but it’s nearly impossible to distance from young children all of the time! Thank you for your reply ☺️

Krn210 profile image
Krn210 in reply to Chloelouise92

I have been back and forth myself. I decided to wait...went to be with my brother because he was mourning the loss of a friend and really needed support. Fast forward he started feeling ill 4 days later and tested positive 2 days later. Thankfully I am on day 9 since contact and haven’t had any symptoms. But now I have to quarantine for 14 days which is difficult with 3 small children, so I’ve been wearing my mask all day every day since finding out. If I could go back and get my shots done prior to all this I would. I plan on going in for my first after my 14 days are up.

Chloelouise92 profile image
Chloelouise92 in reply to Krn210

Thank you for your reply, hopefully you won’t get any symptoms 🤞🏻 I think I’m going to have it done. As much as I worry about the possible effect, covid isn’t ideal either and working in a school with young children there’s always a strong possibility of catching it. I’m going to speak to my gp to get another opinion but ultimately I think I have made a decision! X

Hey Chloelouise92

I found the below on the NHS website:

‘If you're pregnant and have not had a vaccine yet, it's preferable for you to have the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine. This is because they've been more widely used during pregnancy in other countries and no safety concerns have been identified.

If you've already had the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine for your 1st dose and did not have any serious side effects, you should have it again for your 2nd dose.‘ - source

Have a chat with your doctor if you’re worried about it though x

Thank you very much for your reply, typical that I did have the Aztrazeneca, I think if it wasn’t for my job I’d probably wait but working in a school with young children probably makes the chance of catching covid slightly higher. It’s that in between of which is worse?! Nobody really knows do they that’s the problems. Thank you for the advice I think I will call my gp ☺️

Hi Chloe, I too had my first AZ dose prior to falling pregnant and I went for my second dose when called (I was unbeknowingly just shy of 5 wks pregnant when I had it). I had side effects from my first dose but absolutely nothing from my second. I'm glad that I'm now fully vaccinated, however if I'd of known I was pregnant I may have been hesitant to take the second dose. Anyway I had a scan at over 6 wks, saw the heartbeat etc and was measuring as expected. I'm 9wks now and I havent had any issues. It is a very personal decision though and as others have said I would take guidance from your midwife or gp xx

It’s good to know people that have had it though. I didn’t have any side effects with my first really other than feeling tired and a bit shivery but nothing bad at all. I’m booked in for my 12 week scan in a couple of weeks but I’m due to have my second dose this week. It is and who knows what the right one is, I guess you just have to go with your gut don’t you! Thank you for taking the time to reply ☺️ X

Hi Chloe,It’s individual choice, and depends on how you feel most comfortable.

I had the AZ and then had a successful round of IVF so I’m personally postponing my second until after first trimester. For me this is purely based on having a raging fever after my first vaccination and embryos being sensitive to higher temperatures. It’s been a long road to get here, so for me, I’d just rather wait until the first trimester is over before having the second. After this point, the baby is far better developed.

Having said this, the risk of side effects from the second vaccination with AZ is my less than the first, so there may well be no problems at all.

I hope your pregnancy continues to progress well x

You may also like...