Endometriosis UK

Advice on possible issue

Hi all, a colleague at work has recommended this site to me to hopefully get some advice.

I am currently unsure what is wrong with me... I am 23 years old, I have a contraceptive implant (this is my third now) I have been experiencing heavy bleeding for two months now. I have had this in the past and I've always put it down to the implant playing up. I have been to the doctors each time this happens and they put me on the contraceptive pill to control bleeding. The last time this happened I went again and they gave me a MRI/PET scan and overall sexual health check and said that everything looked normal, yet here I am with the same problem.

Not really sure what the problem could be and I'm sure the doctor will just prescribe me more pills to get me out the door. So I was hoping for some advice that I could perhaps query my doctor with this time :)

Many thanks

5 Replies


I've never had the implant but if you are worried and not getting any answers from your gp I would recommend you go to your local family planning/sexual health clinic. They are the best people to talk to about contraception. They are so kind and understanding and have more time allocated to deal with patients. I have found their service and advice so valuable. Perhaps they could help you or give you advice as it sounds like the implant is not agreeing with you.


Hi dabba76, many thanks for your response. Apologies, I should have also mentioned that I regularly visit my local sexual health clinic. They were actually the ones that put me on the implant and contraceptive pill in the first place. They are very helpful but all they can offer me are cup tests, which they send off to their lab, and jumping into the stirrups. Both have shown up with nothing to worry about. The reason I have stuck with the implant for so long is due to several pregnancies through my teens using other methods (pill & coil) and they implant has been 100% effective against this. I'm in a bit of a pickle!

I'm wondering if there are any specific tests I could ask for from my GP to get the ball rolling?


Ah! Strange that they don't know what to do. Is it just the heavy bleeding or do you have other symptoms? I would ask the doctor to be referred to gyne see if they can give you some answers.


its just heavy bleeding every other week, so I'm tired all the time and occasional get cramps with it. Thank you yes I will ask today, I'm expecting a call from my GP at some point :)


So just an update, the doctor has just called me up and said he is going to put me on a new type of tablets which will need to be taken 3 times a day for 10 days (not sure what these are called) they will act as a reset for my body. He didn't want to put me back on the contraceptive pill as it is not a long term solution, he also didn't want to send me off to a gyne or for any scans a I had a pelvic exam last year which showed up all clear. Fingers crossed these new magic pills will work! He said they will either make it lighter, stop or make it worse- lets hope for the best! I will post an update to let you know how I get on, thanks for your help :)


You may also like...