This is one of the most common disorders of blood. A person is said to have anemia when the number of red blood cells or the concentration of hemoglobin in the blood is low. Hemoglobin is a protein present inside the red blood cells and it helps in the transportation of oxygen to various parts of the body. Women are more prone to anemia. There are different varieties of anemia caused by several reasons and are divided into three groups.
• Blood loss anemia
• Blood cell destruction or hemolysis anemia
• Deficient red cell production anemia.
Causes Of Anemia
Some of the main causes of anemia in women are
• Deficiency of iron
• Deficiency of vitamin B12
• Deficiency of folic acid
• Excessive blood loss
• Worm infestation in the stomach and intestine.
• High BMI
• Inherited disorders like sickle cell anemia
• Some medications
• Diseases such as arthritis, HIV/AIDS, Crohn’s disease
The Symptoms Of Anemia
The most common symptom of anemia are given below
• Malaise or the feeling that one is not well
• Shortness of breath
• Sensitivity to cold
Some of the rare symptoms of anemia are
• Swelling of the legs and arms
• Chronic heartburn
• Increased sweating
• Blood in stools
Superfoods To Fight Anemia:
A healthy diet is a prerequisite for any anemic patients. It is vital for you to include foods that are rich in Vitamin B12, folic acid and Vitamin C in your diet apart from most important ingredient iron. The following are the top 15 superfoods that will help you to get rid of anemia.
Spinach is a very popular leafy vegetable that help in preventing anemia. It is a rich source of calcium, Vitamins A, B9, E and C, iron, fiber and beta carotene. It will help in improving the overall health of your body. It is found out that half a cup of boiled spinach contains 3.2 mg of iron and this accounts for about 20 percent of the iron requirement for a woman’s body. So, make sure that you take spinach in your daily diet to increase the blood in your body.
Ways To Consume Spinach
• You can increase the quantity of spinach in your green vegetable salad and can include it with other green vegetables like celery, broccoli, kale and watercress to easily fight anemia. Eat a plate full of green salad every day to fight anemia.
• You can also boil the spinach leaves in a cup of water and add necessary seasoning to make a good soup. Drink spinach soup two times a day to fight anemia.
Beetroot is known to be very effective in fighting anemia. It is a vegetable that is filled with iron content. It will help in repairing and reactivating your red blood cells. Once the red blood cells are activated, the supply of oxygen to all parts of the body increases. Adding beet-root in any form in your daily diet will help to easily fight anemia.
Ways To Use Beetroot
• Beetroot can be mixed with other leafy vegetables as well as vegetables like carrot, capsicum, tomatoes and so on to make a good salad. Consume this every day to fight anemia.
• You can also crush one or two beetroot in a juicer mixer to prepare a glass of beetroot juice. Having this glass of juice every day in the morning along with breakfast will improve the RBC count.
3. Red Meat
There is rich iron content in lamb, beef and other red meats. It contains heme-iron which will be easily absorbed by the body. The heart, kidneys, and the liver of the red meats are those parts that contain high quantities of iron. It is also a great source of Vitamin B12. It is said that the beef liver has more than 600 percent of your daily requirements of iron.
Consumption Of Red Meat
• Three ounces of cooked beef or chicken or ham have about 1 to 2.5 mg of heme iron. Make sure that you consume red meat at least two to three times a week to fight anemia.
• Including 3 ounces of beef liver or chicken liver will help in increasing your red blood cell count as it contains about 2.1 mg of heme-iron. Try to include these livers in your daily diet.
4. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is a rich source of iron. Try to include peanut butter in your daily diet. If you do not like the taste of peanut butter, you can also think of eating a handful or roasted peanuts everyday to fight anemia. Two tablespoons of peanut butter contain 0.6 mg of iron.
Ways To Consume Peanut Butter
• Peanut butter can be used on your morning breakfast bread. Drinking orange juice along with your peanut butter spread bread will help in quick absorption of iron in your body.
• You can also take two tablespoons of plain peanut butter everyday to fight anemia.
• Adding peanut butter while cooking will also help in fighting anemia.
Vitamin C is the main ingredient in tomatoes along with lycopene. The Vitamin C in tomatoes helps in easy absorption of iron. Tomatoes are also rich in beta carotene and Vitamins E and hence help in natural conditioning of the hair and skin.
Usage Of Tomatoes
• You can eat one or two raw tomatoes everyday to increase Vitamin C in your body and to encourage quick iron absorption.
• You can also drink a glass of raw tomato juice every day to fight anemia.
• Adding tomatoes while preparing food everyday will also help in combating anemia.
Eggs are a rich source of proteins and contain a lot of antioxidants that will help in stocking up vitamins in the body when you are suffering from anemia. A large egg is said to contain 1 mg of iron and hence consumption of an egg everyday will help in fighting anemia.
• A boiled egg is one way of adding eggs to your daily diet. Take a boiled egg every day with your daily breakfast to boost vitamins in your body.
• You can consume a poached egg or a half boiled egg or full boiled egg or egg scrambler along with your daily breakfast to improve bone joints.
One of the popular fruits that contain a rich source of iron and Vitamin C is pomegranates. It helps in improving the blood flow in your body and is also very effective in treating anemic symptoms like weakness, dizziness, exhaustion and even loss of hearing.
• Make it a point to eat one full pomegranate every day to reduce the anemic symptoms.
• You can also prepare a strong juice out of the pomegranate seeds and consume a glass of it everyday with your breakfast.
8. Soy Beans
Beans are a great source of iron and vitamins. Soybeans are considered to be the beans that contain high iron content. It contains phytic acid that prevents the absorption of iron. Soybean is a low fat and high protein food that fights anemia. It is important for you to prepare the soybeans properly in order to gain maximum health benefits.
• You need to soak the soy beans in warm water overnight to reduce the phytic acid in the beans.
• You can use half a cup of boiled soybeans in your food or eat it with some seasoning to enjoy half the recommended daily consumption of iron.
9. Whole Grain Bread
A slice of whole grain bread is said to contain about six percent of the daily iron required for the body. It is a very good source of non-heme iron and will help the body to fight deficiency of iron effectively. The whole grains in the bread contain phytic acid that has the potential to inhibit iron in the body. But, since whole grain bread is prepared through fermenting process, the phytic acid inhibitors in the grains are significantly lowered.
• Replace your white bread with whole grain bread for breakfast.
• Take two to three slices of whole grain bread every day to boost iron levels in the body.
Nuts are a great source of iron and will help you to easily boost the iron levels in your body. It helps you immensely to gain iron levels in your body even when you are on the move.
• Pistachio nuts are the best source of iron as it contains 15 mg of iron in 100 grams of nuts.
• Take a handful of pistachio and apricot nuts everyday as a mid breakfast snack or mid afternoon snack everyday to increase iron levels in the body.
Fish will also help in preventing anemia as it contains iron. Some of the popular fatty fishes like salmon, tuna as well as sea foods like mussels and oysters are rich in iron. It is said that pacific oysters contain 7.2 mg of iron per 100 gram servings.
• Make it a habit to include fatty fishes or seafood at least three times a week to help in preventing anemia.
• You can take roasted or baked salmon once in two days to boost iron levels in your body.
Honey is very good for the entire body. It contains a good amount of iron. You will get about 0.42 mg of iron in 100 grams of honey. Moreover, honey also contains copper and magnesium that will help in increasing the hemoglobin in your body.
• Adding one tablespoon of honey to a glass of fresh lemon juice early in the morning on an empty stomach everyday will help in effectively fighting anemia.
13. Peaches, Prunes and Raisins
• Peaches, raisins and prunes are found to be a rich source of iron. In fact, dried peaches contain 6 mg of iron per 100 grams.
• You need to take half a bowl of mixture of peaches, prunes and raisins along with your breakfast or as a health mid day snack everyday to improve iron in your body.
14. Add Molasses To Your Baked Dishes
• One tablespoon of molasses is said to contain 3.2 mg of iron.
• Make sure that you add molasses to your baking in order to increase the iron intake and to enjoy tasty foods.
15. Apple And Dates
Apple and dates are also known to help in boosting iron levels in the body.
• The Vitamin C in the apple helps the body to absorb non heme-iron.
• Apple contains 0.12 mg of iron per 100 grams.
• Dates also contain high quantities of iron and are very useful to fight anemia.
• Eating an apple a day and about 10 dates daily will help to fight anemia.
If you feel that your body is tired and if you are lethargic, it may be due to anemia. Long-term anemia can lead to depression and make you susceptible to infections. Anemia can also result in nerve damage. Are you suffering from the anemia symptoms? Are you looking for the natural method to combat the problem? Try the above given super foods and lead a healthy life.