Week 5, Run 3 done - success, but not easy!

With a new pair of socks and new compression shorts, I headed to the local park this morning to conquer the dreaded and feared W5R3. 20 minutes of running with no breaks was a frightening prospect. I figured a change in scenery would do me good. The local park is nice and at around 10:00 this morning, it wasn't too busy, though there were several runners/joggers on the trail. The trail around the park is marked, come to find out, with distance markers at 1/4 mile intervals. That was a nice surprise. It's not as flat as I'd have liked, but it has areas of shade that were welcomed at points during my run.

I started out with the 5 minute warm up and was ready to give the 20 minute run a "run for its money", so to speak. However, I'd psyched myself up and may have been a bit over-eager as I think I started out too quickly and found myself gassed early on. Laura's notes about where I was in the run were helpful, but I adjusted my speed before I hit the 1/2 way point so as not to run out of steam before the end. I have taken to chewing gum when I run as a way to keep my mind off the length of my run and to keep my mouth moist. I purchased some "Quench Gum" and was using that today. It worked well for the first part of the run, but by about the 15 minute mark, my mouth was terribly dry and felt like I was chewing cotton balls. I still haven't found a good way to run with a water bottle as carrying it along during the entire time is distracting and seems to disrupt whatever running rhythm I have. So, at about the 15 minute mark, I slowed down long enough to take a quick drink from a water fountain along the path. It helped, but I felt like I'd cheated and decided to make up for it later.

The last 5 minutes weren't easy for me. I was pretty tired and ready for the final 5 minute warm down. Laura's voice telling me that I was done couldn't come soon enough. I never felt like I'd found my rhythm during the run. My stride didn't feel right. My ankle held up well, but I could tell it wasn't 100%. It didn't hurt, but it didn't seem as strong as it normally is (if that makes any sense at all). When I finally finished my 20 minute run, I walked for about 1/2 of the 5 minute warm down period before I stopped by my car for the bottle of Gatorade in it. I then drank it while I finished my 5 minute warm down.

But, something inside me kept nagging me about not running the entire 20 minutes. So, I got the wild idea to run another mile. I recently purchased a Nike + sensor to track my runs and it needed to be calibrated. It had not been properly calibrated as of yet because I've not been able to figure out exactly how long my runs have been since I purchased it. So, with the fact that the trail had 1/4 mile markings, I felt like I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I started out with the intent to run a full mile, but 1/2 a mile was all I could tolerate. So, I stopped there.

I've been home now for several hours and my body is pretty tired. Truth be told, I didn't rest a whole lot when I got home. I had to mow the yard and do some other Honey-Dos around the house. My legs are tired, though, and I am looking forward to a day of rest before I embark on the week 6 challenge.

All in all, I feel pretty proud of myself for running the better part of the 20 minute period today. I consider it a success, but it wasn't easy. I am convinced that many of you are right and that this is as much a mental as a physical challenge. At times, I'm a bit short on the mental toughness index, but I'm learning that I can push through the tough times and come out on the other end.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all of you runners out there. It's good to know I'm not alone in this journey. Until next time, keep running!


Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

21 Replies

  • Great job! You did it :)

    Roll on week 6

    ps Take the 1st run of w6 real easy to start

  • Will do, ceefin. Thanks for the suggestion.

  • Well done! I knew you could do it!!!! You even ran another half mile! I am so happy for you. As suggested, for some reason week 6 can be rough. After the high of a continuous 20 minutes, go at a slow steady pace on run 1 and 2 of 6. You are doing great!

  • gdeann - I purchased the Starter socks you recommended. They were 3 pair for about $6.50. Not a bad deal and substantially less expensive than the Feetures. I wore them during my 20 minute run and they worked out fine. I don't think they have the same level of compression, support, or cushion as the Feetures, but they're fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Thanks also for the encouragement and suggestion for week 6. I'm looking forward to the runs this week.

  • Well done TD what a great result. I've just done my R3 20 minutes this morning and it's a tough one but what a feeling when it's achieved, just amazing. I'll be glad of a break as well before I get into week 6. Great work, keep on keeping on and we'll be graduates before you know it.

  • Good for you, too, Chewy. We're side-by-side, so to speak. Keep up the good work and we'll cross that finish line together.

  • Very well done!

    (Love the "Honey-Dos" expression. I've never heard that used this side of the pond. My wife tends to be a little more direct in her approach!).

  • Thanks so much. My wife is pretty direct too, and she'd say her list was much longer than mine. In any case, I very rarely find time just for me. So, I'm growing quite fond of my running times.

  • Well done! It's a great feeling having run that 20 minutes.

    Congrats to you and everyone else who're posting their W5R3 this morning (and everyone who got off the sofa and went out!).

  • Thanks, Beads.

  • Well done, TexasDad! You did it (and more! ). Knew you could. Take it nice and steady for W6, it's weird but everybody finds W6R1 a killer!

    I, too, love the expression 'Honey Dos'. Will have to try it out!

  • Soozz, I'll try to keep that in mind as I work on Week 6 this week. Thanks for your support and encouragement.

  • Great going texasdad, I know you've blogged about your doubts and it's great to read how you have overcome them. :-)

  • Thanks so much, notbad. My doubting gremlins tried to persuade me that I couldn't complete the run, but I so wanted to say that I completed it. It feels good to accomplish something that seems so out of reach.

  • Well done TexasDad. Great to hear your update. i'm starting out on week 5 tomorrow-and really dreading it!

  • Good luck with week 5, Pearsey. You can do this.

  • Yep I did it! Most frustrating as I couldn't go out to run at 8 am. The rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was scary pace! Grrrrrrrrr! By 10 o/c it had stopped-ish raining and the wind was less, so with my head full of the 20 minute continuous run I was facing, off I went. Lol, not 20 minutes at all! I went to Poole Park, as opens 10 o/c as nearer to home and for a change of scenery. It was great! I breathed a sigh of relief when Laura outlined the plan for the 1st run. I knew I could do that (what a change in attitude from week 1?). No dogs, bar one, so that was good and I jogged, rather than ran, but faster than I have done before to stretch myself. At the end I felt that I could have fitted in just one more 5 minute run, so that was good. Run 2 on Wednesday-if the weather is ok-when the game will be upped for sure. We're in for a rocky ride tomorrow with torrential rain and high winds (S/W England), so will have to wait and see whether it blows itself out by Wednesday morning.

    How's week 6 going for you TexaDad? Good luck with it.

  • I ran W6R1 last night and it was as hard as everyone said it would be even though I paced myself from the very beginning. The last 5 minute run was difficult, but I did it. I've got some soreness in my upper inner thigh (groin region) that I may need to rest up an extra day before moving on to W6R2.

  • Great post TD, well done!!

    I did wk5r3 last week and couldn't believe it when Laura finally said I'd finished. The first 5 minutes was really tough, 2nd & 3rd not too bad, but last 5 mins of the 20 was really difficult, but I could not let myself stop. I had to pause briefly to let a car come so I could cross the road, and wanted them to get out of the way quickly so I wouldn't feel like I was cheating lol.

    Hope your wk6 is going well. Keep posting! :-)

  • Thanks arablue. Good luck with your runs, too.

  • Got the 2nd run of week 5 tomorrow, if it's not teeming with rain as forcasted. Whatever happens i will get out there, but may not be early morning as I would like. Bad weather for S/W England hasn't come to fruition-yet! So hold on to your hats!

    Sorry to hear you've a groin injury TD. I'd def rest up for a couple of days if i were you-not worth pushing it as you will end up with even more time out. Good luck with the 2nd run. keep in touch :-)

You may also like...