W4R1 or is it W3.5

started W4 tonight anf failed.I only manged 3 min followed by 3 min instead of 5. I then did 3 min followed by 3 min again. My calf muscles where aching me. I am not too sure if its related to the fact i went out running at about 7 pm and the last time I ate was at 12.30 pm(bowl of tomato soup).Even if it wasent the cause in my heart i know it wasent a good idea. should i do more stretches beforei start? I am going to remain positive. I have run more than in week three so there is an improvement .I will remain at week 4 until i achieve three consecutive runs up to laura's exacting standards. I am going to have something to eat now!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Sorry to hear you had a tough run, keep at it though it will pay off in the end

• I am also on week 4 and I have to say run 1 was horrible! Stretching throughly before a run and after helps me massively, i get terrible calf pain and get out of breath quickly. I find laura's tips on breathing help; slowly breathing in and out to a count of 4 (say a count of 2 for me! but it stops me panting) Also i slowed my pace right down for my 5 minute run, on the last run I thought I was going to quit but just keep going and trying and slow it right down, that should help.

Well done for not giving up, I feel your pain! I really do! :-)

• You shouldn't stretch cold muscles as that can damage them - if you want to stretch at the beginning, do it after the warm up walk. Make you have a good stretch after finishing, as running shortens the calf muscles.

Everyone has the occasional bad run (even professionals!), and it's not always possible to pinpoint a cause, so won't worry about it too much. Just get up and try it again after a rest day. Good luck for next time! :)

• remember EVERY RUN'S A WINNER :-)

some are better than others, the main thing is to keep going out there and doing it, it WILL all fall into place, trust me, 5 months ago i couldn't run for a bus, now i run 5k 3 times a week

• I'm on my 3rd week of week 4! And still haven't managed a full 5 minutes. Got to 4 1/2 minutes yesterday but then couldn't do more than 90 seconds of the final 5 mins!

Over heating seems to be a big problem for me - even in the rain

I'll stay at week 4 unitl I manage the whole thing - I may be some time :(

I tell myself at least I'm getting some exercise three times a week, which must be doing me some good

• thanks for the supportive comments i am taking a rest day today. I forgot to say in my first post that I had cycled 16K the day before the run. I will try again tomorrow and see how i get on . thanks again

You may also like...