Plodding Along Week 6

I guess I am just tired and crabby. I generally look forward to my runs - I like the mood boost, the sense of accomplishment, the time I get to see and smell the flowers as I run along the suburban paths. And today should have been easy, right? It is week 6, run 2. That is 2 10-minute runs with a break in the middle, after finishing a solid 20-min run last week.

I don't know why it wasn't easy. Actually, for the first time since week 2, I didn't quite make it. I would have sworn that Laura said there were 3 minutes remaining in the second interval, so I kept right on running, pushing myself just a little more to get that last little bit of goodness out. Apparently she said it was 5 minutes more, though, and I was ill-prepared. I was wheezing and had a stitch in my side. I just could not make my legs keep going when yet another bloody song started without Laura saying I was done. I walked for at least 30 seconds, perhaps a minute before sucking it up and finishing the damn run. I was not best pleased.

Bad runs happen. It isn't a huge horrible deal. I still feel tired, I think, from last week's effort. I expect that taking 2 consecutive days off would help, but I can't bear the thought of going 2 days without running. So what do I do? How do I rest without going into withdrawal?

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I totally get what you are saying. I always want to run every other day and I knew yesterday I was too tired. I almost need to pinch myself to believe that I did run two lots of 8 minutes the day before and that is why I so desperately need to run after the rest day. So I messed up. Got to listen to our bodies more. You know you can run two lots of 10. I guess we just have to stop being so hard on ourselves. Take an extra days break then go for it. Good luck

• Thank you. Yes, I need to be gentle with myself and honor how far I have come.

• Week 6 got me like that too. I also felt the same after graduating and going back to intervals on the 10k training. It soon passes though so a couple of crap runs aren't too bad ;)

• Glad to know it isn't just me finding week 6 more challenging than expected. :) I am sure it will get better.

• Yes I am definitely with you guys as I had done the 20min one thinking "I don't know what all the fuss was about :)

I started week 6 thinking "yeh I can do this .. no probs" and the 1st one was OooKayyy? but 2 was a complete different ball game! :) I did struggle and was relieved when it ended and of course surprised.

I think it is a mind thing and that can be the most difficult thing to train it seems ... just a little hic up and the spirits go down.

So Guys ... come on we can do this just keep remembering the 20mins. in a good way to spur you on not beat yourself up with :)

I am sure it will pass ... I am due week 6 run 3 tonight so will let you know if I have taken my own advise! ? :)

• Good luck Powerhealer!

• Good luck with run 3. I hope it is as easy for you as week 5.

• This week is notorious for this! You start off all confident and it's surprisingly tough, I think it's designed to improve endurance, you will recover Alaiyo, as Laura says, trust the programme. Good luck!

• Thanks Gridlet. There is some relief in knowing that the "notorious" challenge affects me like almost everyone. I will endure. And surely that will improve my endurance. Someday very soon I will be able to run consistently!

• Well i did it! :) Boy was it tough. Mainly cos I found a pair of insoles that I had made several years back and the problem was I couldn't remove my standard ones so .... yes you guessed it I stupidly put them on top! :(

What was I thinking??? Well actually I was being told it was silly and although my trainers didn't feel uncomfortable I thought I may get a blister. Guess what ..... I did!

No surprise there ... after telling everyone here to listen to their bodies I go and ignore what I can clearly hear in my head.

Of course I couldn't stop so this morning I put my dog walking trainers on with baited breath. Thank God they were OK.

As for the time well ....... after 10 mins. I was seriously flagging but listened to good old Laura encouraging me on and managed to finish it.

I made sure to stretch and this morning feel fine ... so all's well that ends well I spose! :)

I had a sharp reminder to ... Practice what I preach, walk the walk etc.

I have definitely improved on the determination front as in the past if I had wanted to stop I would have jumped at the chance of a good excuse and come to a grinding halt. This forum makes it like running with a group so THANKS guys! :)

You may also like...