On track to 10k :-)

A little update on my progress this week.

After attempting B210k for a few weeks I decided 3 long runs a week was too much and I was hating going back to walking intervals. It was feeling like such a slog and I was starting to feel like it was a chore rather than something to look forward to.

I decided to make my runs shorter but increase to 4 per week with one long run increasing distance/time each week. This week I did a 5k run on Monday, then a 20min fartlek run Tuesday. This morning I ran 7.5k in 54mins which I'm really pleased with. I was aiming for 8k and probably could've ran further but I was running out of time before work. Will need to plan my route a bit better next time and get out of bed earlier!

I'm doing my first parkrun this Saturday so really looking forward to that. Then I have 3 weeks until my 10k race so will just stick to the same programme but increase my long run distance. Hoping for a 10k time under 1hr 10mins.

I'm not sure if I should go public with this but I'm also seriously considering a half marathon in September. Eek I don't know, it sounds so insane considering I only started running in February but the more I think about it the more I really want to do it. Any thoughts?

2 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • I think building up distance by doing one longer run each week is a good idea. It's how I built up to my half marathon distance. Mostly, if you can do 10-11 miles you can do the full 13.1 of the half marathon, the adrenaline will carry you through.

I dn't think September is an impossible idea, you will have been running for eight months and should have been able to have built up your long run to a good distance by then.

Good luck with your parkrun and for your training for September.

CaroleC

• Hi Carole thanks for the reply. Knowing that you managed to do it is really inspiring :) I know it's achievable but still scared lol. I've made a deal with my mum that I will wait until after the 10K to make up my mind and she will do it with me if I want to go ahead with it. I got a shiny (and expensive) pair of new trainers yesterday so hoping to get a lot of miles out of them!

You may also like...