Couch to 5K on a treadmill - what running speeds would you recommend?????

I have just finished W3R2 but am still unsure about how fast or slow I should be walking/running. I am running indoors on a treadmill (well, in my garage to be exact)! Was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to how many miles per hour a brisk walk and a steady jogging pace would be? Thank;-)

You may also like...

You need to sign up or log in to reply

7 Replies

• I think it depends on your natural speed, I am on week 7 on a treadmill - I just set the walk to a certain speed and on the runs I do it 1.5x faster. So if I walk on 3, I run on 4.5 :) whatever feels best, Laura will give you advice on how you should be feeling on the walk, so just do what feels natural on the run as well.
  • Don't worry about the speed others are doing - I just use the treadmill speeds to monitor how I'm doing compared with my last run and to try and up the speeds for sections of each run (doesn't always happen - sometimes I find I'm too tired !). For what it's worth I find that if I try to walk at 7kph, I'm on the verge of having to break into a run so I usually set my brisk walk at between 6.5 and 6.9kph. At week three, I think I probably wouldn't have managed to take a drink at that speed - I would have had to slow down to do that. Now I can just about manage to take a drink at my steady running speed.

I worked on doing most of my walks/runs at a comfortable, sustainable pace but aiming to increase the speed for a part of each run, usually the last bit, which I think helped me build up my speed over the weeks.
  • I just finished week 7 day 1, i walk at 5kph and run at 7kph. But i am carrying substantial weight.

I think you should aim for a speed that you can maintain for the entire run. I started at 4kph walking and 5.5kph running (yes, it is possible to jog at 5.5kph!).

Today i ran straight for twenty five minutes. At the beginning i upped my speed to 7.5KPH, i managed it for about ten minutes but had to drop back down to 7kph.

I really felt the impact of the extra speed towards the end of the run, it had knocked a lot more out of me than i expected, by 20 minutes i could barely move my legs in front of each other, despite lowering down to the 7kph and my levels of perspiration and fatigue were much worse than a few days ago when i first completed 25 minutes at the end of week 6.

Moral of the story is find a speed that you are comfortable at and dont go too fast because you will be more disappointed by failing to complete the run rather than doing it a bit slower.

The experts on here all seem to say the same thing, go for endurance, the speed will come later.
  • Very inspiring... Great work. I bet you are so proud of your achievements so far!
  • Thanks for all those comments. I have been walking at about 6kph and running at about 8.8kph so I think if anything I may need to slow down if I am going to sustain this over a longer time. It feels fine at the moment but as I am only on week 3, I guess it will get more difficult as the weeks go by ;-)
  • I think you will naturally adapt your speed as the weeks go by, you learn to judge what speed you can maintain for the duration of the run. I think I had to slow down a bit when the runs first started getting longer, then try and pick up speed again. I do recommend you try and get some outdoor running in as well though.
  • when i use the treadmill i usually walk at 5.4 kph and then run at 8.5 but i was running a bit slower than that but have slowly upped it as the weeks gone by. Dont burn yourself out too quickly, keep a bit at the end of the run where you can go faster to push yourself. i usually up it to 9/ 9.2 the last few minutes on the run.
    depends if you are also using an incline they say a 1% incline is good but my treadmill doesnt have any incline. walk and run to whatever feels comfortable for you but you need to be sweating and pushing yourself a little.to benefit.
    Have fun and good luck and i do agree try and get outdoors for some runs its so different to treadmill running and not so boring ( although noel edmonds and no deal is quite exciting to watch and run to lol)

You need to sign up or log in to reply