Couch to 5K

A damp end to week three... but let not my spirits be dampened!

My Sister-in-Law was running ten minutes late this morning so, despite being up and changed into my running gear, I snuck back into bed to savour a brief snooze as I listened to the wind try its best to defy physics and come in through the closed window.

I didn't dare open the curtains as I got dressed- looking at the weather would have been enough to dampen my spirits. But my snooze interlude was enough to make me forget the forcast for the day and as I crept out of the bedroom, onto the landing, the lack of natural light made me wonder if, in fact, I was up an hour earlier than I should have been.

However, I felt quite refreshed; that extra ten, unexpected, minutes of rest had a rejuvinating effect and I thought, 'Hey, what's the worst that can happen?'

'You will get wet'

'I have towels, I can dry.'

'You will be cold.'

'Then I will change into dry clothes and whack the heating fans on in the car to thaw out on the drive to work.'

'If you say so'

'Don't worry, I will make a large caffetiere of coffee to make up for it when we get home from the run.'

'I thought you were cutting down on the coffee'

'Shh, don't tell anyone; it can be our reward for completing week three'

'Okay, lets go.'

So off I went to meet Sister at the local park, about 10 minutes leisurely walk from my house. I had adorned my windbreaker in the vain hope that by being prepared with waterproofing I would not need it- otherwise known as 'Sod's Law'.

As we came to the end of our warm-up walk the interminable drizzle began. 'Sod's Law' cannot be depended upon. It was just in time for our first 90seconds of jogging... on the incline. 'Oh joy(!)', I thought, but before I could start to complain to myself, the 90 seconds was over. I was a little let down by this, I was ready to carry on. Or maybe that was the wind propelling me forwards.

So on we continued. I have quite a fast pace and a long stride compared to Sister so this morning I shortened my gait and concentrated on straightening my feet. Oh yes, did I mention? I walk like a duck. Maybe the reason I walk so quickly is so nobody notices that I waddle like a duck, I am also bottom heavy- which just adds to the simile.

Before I knew it our time was up. Week three completed! We stretched out a little- I was definitely feeling it in my calves this morning. Perhaps, on reflection, it was not wise to wear three-quarter length bottoms when it is cold and damp.

Sister and I went our separate ways and as I picked up my pace to get home quicker I thought, 'Why not run through the grave-yard'. 'Yes, okay then, lets run to the gate.' The gate came and went and I carried on running.

I considered stopping and then I heard a car coming behind me, (out of consideration for the car, of course) I carried on running so as not to slow them down before we reached a section where they could pass. The car passed and I thought 'What the hey, I'm nearly home, I'll run to the corner.'

Running around the corner and up the hill I had suddenly reached my door. As I fished my key from my pocket, jogging on the spot, I gave the door a 'high five'.

I skipped down the ginnel (yes, I am partial to a little skip when feeling happy) to my kitchen door the radio greeted me as I popped on the kettle. Eating breakfast and drinking my coffee (still with soggy feet) I felt very happy with myself. It was another target reached. And while week four does seem quite a leap from week three I'm hoping that my skips and leaps of joy (and a little self-satisfactory smugness for good measure) will see me through the next instalment... An extra cup of coffee might help as well.

(Oh yes, and my feet have just about thawed.)

11 Replies

Fantastic :) great post and well done!! Glad your feet have thawed out ;)


Thank you; I have progressed from thawed to toasty now :)


Awesome blog, felt like I was with you the entire run :)

Great job :)


Thank you :) there will be more!


ha ha that was a great read.. well done!! :)


Thank you :) I'm looking forward to what happens on my next run.


I too have finished week 3 today but look at you. I did not feel like running anymore but i always find the last one of the week the hardest i don't know why. But i do know however i am ready to take on week 4 . So good luck for you but im sure you will find week 4 a breeze reading this.


Yay! It's a great feeling to get to the end of the week and know you've done it. I always find the first run of the week the hardest but 6.30am on a Monday morning might have something to do with that! All the best for your week four!


LOL, I'm not coming off well. didn't turn up, late, slow ;) perhaps i should write a blog too - perspective of the terminally slow?


Silly Sister. You enabled me to have a silly run yesterday where I met some lovely Coos, I got an extra ten minutes in bed this morning (without which I doubt I would have been so sprightly) and you have slowed me down which means I can address my duck-like footing and give my legs a workout rather than my poor pounding heart! :)


Great post. I'm about to do W3 R2 today, but had a very long break after W3 R1. I had a cold and than just didn't bother going back. It's great doing it, but i'm not great at motivating myself. I do a little run at the end too, but I think it's because I run so slowly. Good luck for next week.


You may also like...