Couch to 5K
76,318 members107,863 posts

Stress fracture - planning a return to running

After completing c25k I continued to keep running every other day, and was in the process of upping the distance to 7k

Long story short, about a week after finishing, I succumbed to a stress fracture, a Weber B. The end of my tibia came off.

This was missed for 17 days by the hospital and eventually they took a second look and diagnosed the now much worse break.

Today marks 2 weeks left wearing my walking boot.

Then with the advice of my physio, I will get back to running, documenting my journey here in case anyone would like to read it

Lucy

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Enjoy your journey back... with a physio helping you’ll end up stronger than ever.

1 like

That's the plan!!

Hope your recovery is full & speedy - looking forward to reading about your journey.

1 like

Thank you! That's really nice of you x

1 like

Good to hear you are on the road to recovery.

I would love to read how you get on, but also precisely how much and what intensity your running was prior to the fracture.

Take care.

1 like

Hello!

Thanks for the reply!

I was running 5k 3 times a week, so usually Monday, weds and Saturday in about 28 - 32 mins.

I was in my 10th week of running when I sustained the injury

Lucy

Do you have any other known conditions, eg osteoporosis?

Do you have a history of bone fractures?

What surface were you running on?

Were you wearing proper running shoes fitted after a gait analysis?

Are you a fast runner?

I would love to know what it was that caused you to have stress fractures, which is relatively rare in New runners, in my experience.

I don't have a pre-existing condition, but have been sent an appointment for a bone density scan and to have bloods taken.

I was running on pavements, in non brand running shoes.

I had not had a gait analysis but will be having one when I get the go ahead

I'll let you know if it turns out I have brittle bones or anything

Going to post an update this afternoon

You may also like...