Couch to 5K
62,130 members94,869 posts

New but loving it

Hiall

I am 44 yrs old, 14 stone and not done any real exercise for the last 10 yrs so decided it was time to look after my body before it fell apart.

Today I will be doing my 3rd run of the week to complete Week 1.

What do i think so far - my expectations was that I would be wheezing like i had smokeed 100 fags a day, but actually it was bad but not bad as expected. I am getting encouragement from family, friendsa and colleagues at work. I think that is one of the things that will drive me to complete the course and then go further

To be honest the week I am dreading is week 4 it just looks nasty.

So thanks for having me and we will ctahc up soon

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi. Congrats to you, , YOu're a young thing. I started before Christmas at the ripe old age of 63 and apart from aerobics I'd never exercised seriously. The support is absolutely vital . but one thing I'd advise is don't look at the folllowing weeks, j;ust concerntrate on one run at a time and be pleased with your achievement from each one. Good luck

4 likes

Young but neglected. Too late I have looked and cannot unsee what i have seen lol. In Jan I decided i wanted to eat healthier and exercise more. I had always enjoyed running as kid so thought I would give this a go and having a community around you to laugh at the funny moments and pick you up when you are feeling low. I think this is a great place to be. Good luck in your future runs.

2 likes

I thought I would never be able to complete week 4 however Sunday's run will (hopefully) see me do just that. Each week builds you for the next so son't even think about week 4 until you have completed week three. Trust me, you will be able to do it, if I can anyone can.

Keep at it, it becomes very rewarding, and addictive.

3 likes

Well done you.. check out all this info in this post... it has lots of great support:)

healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

Support from those around you is fantastic, and posting on here, you will get a lot of great advice too...

This is your journey and take it at your own pace... listen to your body, and keep it slow and steady :)

If you read the last coupe of paragraphs of this post of mine from a while back... you will understand how, each run follows the one before and, by having confidence in yourself..believing you can do it... you are over halfway there:)

healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

3 likes

I’m 41, have literally never exercised, and I’m doing it too! And loving it so far- even set up a local running group so I have some company!!

All the best x

1 like

Don’t worry by the time you get to week 4 you will be ready for it - and surely it wi be warmer! 👍

1 like

Wel thats week 1 complete and I am still breathing. Thanks for all the support. Look forward to next wek ( well look forwad is a bit of a stretch) lol

1 like

Happy running. You're doing great.

I agree about week 4 but I soon realised that most of the anxiety was self-determined having completed it today!

Don't forget to do your warm down exercises/stretches. There's a link on here somewhere which leads to the NHS website.

You may also like...