Couch to 5K

New running shoes

So I bought some new running shoes before Christmas but until today had not been out in them.

Before now I’ve only had one pair which I find really comfy but are getting old and worn. Having just run in the new ones (Hoka), I felt as if I was struggling more than normal today (those who have read my other posts will know I’m not a natural runner!) my calves felt tighter and my balls of my feet were tingling.

Is it normal when breaking in new shoes for it to take awhile? I only did a short run today, I am thinking I need to just keep doing this until they feel more comfy?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks and Happy Sunday 😁

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Which Hokas are they? I've just been looking at their website, and all the shoes seem to have a relatively low drop. "Drop" refers to the difference from the height of the heel to that at the toe. I have bought recently a pair of very low drop shoes, and have found that they are giving my calves a pretty good workout because they make me tend to land on my forefoot as I run. It could be that the same is happening to you, so it might be a good idea to alternate the Hokas with your old shoes for a while until you get used to them.

3 likes

Hi they are Bondi’s, and they do feel totally different to my ASICS thanks for advice will wear them in gradually !

1 like

Bondi 5s have a 4mm drop, that is pretty low!

1 like

I agree with roseabi, alternate your shoes, breaking both you and your feet in gradually, as suggested in the FAQ post on shoes healthunlocked.com/couchto5...……………..which-shoes

2 likes

Thank you started to improve my stamina and this morning was a bit disappointed! Will take this advice on board.

1 like

I had tingling balls of feet to begin with when I bought my running shoes. You have made me realise that that has stopped now! - I had forgotten about it. 😀

1 like

Glad to have been of help! 😁

1 like

Some shoes do need bedding in. I have some stiff Mizuno trail shoes and was told when I bought them that they would need time to soften

4mm is low so if you rotate them with say a 10 or 12 mm you should be ok Don't tie your laces too tight as that can causing tingling

2 likes

Thanks Misswobble - I will loosen laces next time- such nice trainers don’t want to I’ve up on them!

You may also like...