Couch to 5K
60,141 members โ€ข 92,786 posts

Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018

Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018

Morning fellow running friends,

I have run my last run of 2017 this morning to earn the very lovely masquerade ball mask that you can see in the photo ๐Ÿ˜ƒ The bottom photos are the medals that Iโ€™ve signed up for so far for next year ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Due to the enormous amount of rain that Iโ€™ve had recently, I had to rethink my route as my local country park is flooded and completely impassable, unless you wear wellies and Iโ€™m really not sure that running in wellies is a good idea? ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

So, a new route had to be found and quickly as I had to run today to claim my bling!! Instead of studying numerous maps to see where 5k would get me I just decided to start running and see where me feet would take me ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

I passed the hospital, the train station and arrived at Aldi thinking that Iโ€™d at least done 3K but oh no ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ 2.3K!!! What?!! It felt so much longer than that. Maybe it was the fact that it was along a pathway and not through a leafy, muddy, puddle infested park but boy did it seem long........

Anyway, I carried on, and lo and behold, I discovered what I knew was coming but I was still dreading it. A hill. A very long and steep hill ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ. And then the rain started followed by gusts of what can only be described as hurricane force winds (maybe not hurricane force but it felt like it!!!) Upwards I went, digging in to my reserves and sheer bloody mindedness!! Reached the top and almost felt like I needed the hospital, which at this point is very conveniently placed where the hill levels out. Hmmm... maybe thereโ€™s a reason for that.....๐Ÿง

I admit I had to stop for 30 seconds just to get my breathing under control and a quick look at my phone tells me that Iโ€™ve only got 1K to go to complete the 5K.

Breathing back to normal, off I set to finish the last KM. Rain ๐ŸŒง is still lashing down, wind ๐Ÿ’จ is still gusting in my face, legs are still plodding on ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ and I must look a right sorry state of affairs but did I care? NO!! Absolutely not!!

Run finished and with a 5 min cool down walk, I ended up at my front door. Exhausted. Muddy. Wet. Windswept.

This was my hardest run to date and one that I wonโ€™t forget in a hurry but did I enjoy it. Yes and that probably confirms, that deep down, I am a sadomasochist!!

So as we all prepare to say goodbye to 2017 Iโ€™d just like to say thank you to each and every one of you that have helped and inspired my in my running journey in 2017 ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Much love to you all and have a happy and healthy 2018.

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•HAPPY NEW YEAR ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

3 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

A happy new year to you too, sheer bloody mindedness seems to be a common trait shared by many runners

1 like

Fantastic well done Kimchoc08

1 like

Fantastic effort Kim! It's been a fantastic journey for us all in 2017, 2018 promises to be spectacular. My very best to you and yours ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ x

1 like

You may also like...