First time running 5k

Today was my second run post graduation and I made it to the magic 5k. It did take 39 minutes but I was trying to lengthen my stride and it made a difference- same effort, more distance.

I always felt I was running on the spot and only using the balls of my feet while I was doing the programme, partly to protect one foot from the extra pain while I had pf. Now that's passed off I can concentrate on correcting my gait and landing mid-foot.

Anyone who thinks they're slow, listen to the advice on here and don't worry about it at all. I can see now that the distance will increase naturally as you get stronger and fitter ๐ŸŒ x

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Well done! Good time! You are still a new runner for a while yet, so take care..๐Ÿ˜Š

• Fantastic and very well done for completing 5K. It's a great feeling isn't it.

• Well done! A big 5K needs a celebration now :D

• Well done.

Lengthening your stride can be problematic and is often a cause of knee pain. You would be safer to increase your cadence and keep stride as it naturally is, at least until you have built your running legs a bit more.

Keep running, keep smiling.

• I was just wincing at the prospect ๐Ÿ™‚

• You got it!!! Well done you !

• PS

Just take care altering stride etc... as IannodaTruffe says :)

You may also like...