Couch to 5K

How do people measure distance?

Hi there. I am hoping to finish week 7 tomorrow so doing the 25 minutes running at the moment. I just wondered how people measure the distance they are running? I am using map my run and I currently set it going as I leave the house so it is recording the warm up and warm down walk as well. Although it shows I am covering 4.5k I am not actually running that distance. How does everyone else do it?

8 Replies
oldestnewest

During the programme it is often better not to use any distance/speed tracking... it seems to serve largely to demotivated/derail people, especially anyone who wasn't paying attention when the aims of the programme (ie 30 minutes duration rather than distance) are set out.

Long post-grad, I have a Fitbit which I don't touch (although I go back later and 'point out' to it that I was actually running for some of that thank you very much, even if it thinks I was walking the whole time) and use Runkeeper which I start after the warm up walk and switch off before the walk at the end.

I downloaded a free tracking app. Runtastic I think. I tracked for the first time this week (wk 8 run 2). I was a bit demotivated when I saw than on a 28 minute run (ok shuffle) I was taking 10 minutes to run 1 km!! Talk about slow. But everyone here said it's not about distance but time. Lets face it, eight weeks ago I struggled to run 60 seconds!

2 likes

If you Endomondo on a phone, it has the facility to pick out your fastest 1k, 3k or 5k from a particular run, not just splits.

With any tracker if you want to measure just your running, then just measure the running.

1 like

I really like this about Endomondo - and it tells you in your ear what your pace was at each km. I used to start runs too quickly so I've found it really useful for finding a more steady pace. My problem with Endomondo is it sometimes drop out mid-run but it's well worth downloading the free version.

1 like

Endomondo also does a good job of tracking PBs, but I tend to use Runkeeper because it can be programmed with intervals.

Drop out is probably your phone rather than the app.

1 like

The weird thing is that my other running apps don't drop out though, even if I'm using them simultaneously. It's very weird. I have Runkeeper but haven't used it much yet so I might give it another try. I had been using Endomondo for cycling before I started running so it seemed natural to keep going with it.

I use Strava and just start and stop it at the beginning and end of the running. I use it simultaneously to the C25K app on my phone (and also my music!) and when Jo tells me my five minute warm up is nearly finished, I start the Strava app recording. I find it very interesting and am using it to try and strive to complete 5k in 30 mins by the end of the 9 week programme. I can do 4.6km in 28 mins so hopefully will manage it. Only 2 runs left to go though on C25K for me, so need to get my skates on ha ha!

I have been using mapmyrun but have started to feel very suspicious about it's accuracy. Last week it told me that I ran the first K in 5.75 minutes 😂(didn't happen) and the same route is sometimes measured differently. Although I am relaxed about these new things, I would like to know🏃

You may also like...