Aching at the back of my foot/ ankles

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum!

I have been completing the app and last week completed week 3. However some friends talked me into running the 5k park run on Saturday! I didn't run all of it ... obviously however I ran more than usual and now I have ended up with an ache on both feet, just the back near ankles and the bottom of my legs! Do you think this is just muscular pain?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It sounds like sensitive Achilles tendon, probably from overdoing it at parkrun. Follow the programme to keep your risk of injury minimal.

When I first started running both my Achilles used to be very tight first thing in the morning, but eased as the day went on. My first injury was a tweaked Achilles, so obviously there was a warning sign of a possible vulnerability. Within a few months the tension disappeared and I have had no further problems in that area.

Heel drops are good for gently stretching the tendon. Best done after a run when everything is warm and pliable, although, when I had the injury, I used to do some after my warmup, before starting to run.

I would recommend doing some research.

• Thanks so much for your advice :) will definitely do some research

• I had a lot of trouble with my Achilles when I first started running and I now do heel drops and calf stretches before running mayoclinic.org/diseases-con...

I don't think you can stretch the tendon, certainly my problem went away when I learned to think of stretching my calf muscle rather than the tendon. With the muscle/tendon system more flexible as a whole the tendon is not so likely to be damaged.

• You are quite right, tendons do not stretch.

• Ok great stuff, thanks for the advice I will have a look at the link you have sent :)

• Agreed with the above comment. I would add though that pretty much everything below my belt line ached at some point or other in the first month of running.

• Thank you:)

• Probably a bit too much too soon... :(

So, take the advice from IannodaTruffe , and see how you go...we do expect aches and pains, but need to listen to our bodies too :)

• Yes I definitely agreev with that! Will definitely be filling the programme only from now on thank you for your advice

You may also like...