Listening to audiobooks

Does anyone run to the spoken word.

I like listening to books when walking and wonder about listening to books or podcasts while I run (thinking 2 x Archers or 1 x News Quiz should cover 30 minutes- when I get there!). I'm falling behind with the reading list while following the programme :(

But it seems like music (even Laura music) is somehow helpful- or maybe even necessary

Advice appreciated :)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldest ‚ÄĘ newest
  • I did C25K with Laura and the original terrible music and found it was helpful having a beat even if I didn't appreciate the actual music.

As a graduate, I love running to the spoken word when I'm running for longer distances and want to run slowly. If I'm doing intervals then I use the C25K+ speed podcast as you run to the beat of the music. But I think podcasts are great for being distracting when I'm very limited about the routes that I can do so am in danger of being "bored" after 4 years of the same 3 variations. Desert Island Discs is a go-to for me and has the advantage of little clips of music (not the whole track from the programme). I also like books though.

• Thats really helpful. Thanks

Just need to graduate now!

• I run with either audiobooks or radio, and I run a metronome app at the same time if I want to achieve a particular goal - slower for a nonstop run and a bit faster if I'm doing run/walk. It doesn't seem to detract from listening to the story.

• I have music for training runs and 'In Our Time' podcast for longer, slow runs. I typically run for 1 hour / 10km and IOT is often too short - even with the extra time on the end. But I enjoy this lovely time to myself.

• Thanks guys. My goal is to run regular/30 minutes rather than fast so I imagine listening to podcasts or audiobooks might work with this; at least some of the timeūüėä

• I almost always have audiobooks when running. I view it as multi-tasking. I find I absorb even the driest non fiction really well while out pounidng the trails.

That said, it only really works on 'long slow distance runs' where I can just switch off and run. If I am doing intervals or anything that requires concentration on the running then it is counterproductive.

• Thanks Rignold. I have a William Boyd just waiting for some 30 minute steady runs.

You may also like...