Couch to 5K
52,480 members84,544 posts

Numb left foot!

Since graduating I have tried to continue doing a 30 min run at least once a week as well as doing some of the stepping stones run for speed. I have found recently that after about 25 min my left foot starts to tingle and by 30 min it goes almost completely numb, forcing me to stop. I then walk back home with it still numb. Once I sit down, everything comes back to normal within 5 -10 mins. Any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I can do about it?

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Is this all in the same pair of running shoes? It sounds as though there might be some pressure somewhere.

1 like

Yes. Its the same pair of shoes I have used since starting the C25K.

1 like

The usual cause of pins and needles and/or numbness is the lacing in your shoes being too tight.

Try loosening the lacing a bit and/or try changing the lacing pattern. There are lots of things you could try to reduce pressure but this article covers the basics:

runnersconnect.net/how-to-l...

1 like

The lacing in my shoes has been the same since I started and I don't think that I am tying them any tighter. I will try keeping them a bit looser and changing the lacing pattern to straight across. Many thanks

I agree with Dunder2004 , are the shoes too tight. Have you changed socks maybe? Also take into account that the weather has warmed up so feet may be getting hotter/swelling perhaps?

That's a good point about the weather warming and maybe feet swelling. Thanks.

1 like

Swollen Piggies! The heat does this.. even when it does not feel that hot.. I had to stop and loosen my laces the other morning.. and it felt cold! I had a numb toe :(

Try for light landing too.. sometimes if I get over excited in a run,( sad eh? ) my feet land, a tad heavily and start to tingle :)

1 like

This happened to me when I had a pair of Asics for Christmas. I exchanged them for a pair of New Balance, which have a wider toe box. They did the trick and I've had no problems since.

You may also like...